Question increase internet globla speed with gre tunnel is really?

Giorgi379

Reputable
May 12, 2020
Hi, all i have problem my office network topology is on picture. my global is very slow 5Mbps it's not enough for 10-20 users with some users video call.

i think GSM modem is fix that problem and it will make 30global speed local 30mbps global speed but some users say best practice here is repleace TPlink TL-WR840N router with Mikrotik hEX - RB750Gr3 router and install second Mikrotik hEX - RB750Gr3 somewhere where are 50Mbps Local and 50Mbps Global internet speed and make gre tunnel betwen them and my office global traffic will be route with local 50Mbps speed to second Mikrotik router to global internet. if its true? and how to do it?

332871493-461927796049822-3736254525764488479-n.jpg

What is the difference between "Global" and "local". It seem the global is your fairly standard internet connection. Is the local something else the ISP offers. I mean will they sell you a fiber connection to say a google data hosting center in your city and that will run 50mbps rather than 5.

I have never seen this type of install. What is causing the limit to 5mbps. For most people it is because the connection into their building can't run faster but if the connection can run 50mbps but internet only runs 5mbps then the ISP is for some reason limiting it.
I guess it depends on why the ISP is limiting this. In theory it would work but finding a place that you can place the second router is I suspect no going to be simple.

You do not really want to use GRE you should use something that is encrypted like one of the VPN solutions but technically GRE will work.

Giorgi379

Reputable
May 12, 2020
What is the difference between "Global" and "local". It seem the global is your fairly standard internet connection. Is the local something else the ISP offers. I mean will they sell you a fiber connection to say a google data hosting center in your city and that will run 50mbps rather than 5.

I have never seen this type of install. What is causing the limit to 5mbps. For most people it is because the connection into their building can't run faster but if the connection can run 50mbps but internet only runs 5mbps then the ISP is for some reason limiting it.
I guess it depends on why the ISP is limiting this. In theory it would work but finding a place that you can place the second router is I suspect no going to be simple.

You do not really want to use GRE you should use something that is encrypted like one of the VPN solutions but technically GRE will work.
Global Means outside of country
Local inside of country
Limited because prices
This package 5Mbps Global and 50Mbps Local worth 220$ month for business
and because they want cheap solution of this case, and some guys same me gre tunnel is best solution ?

That is strange they charge extra for traffic outside the country but if a greedy company can get people to pay for it they will charge extra for all kinds of things

It all depends on if you can get another location that has "global" traffic that does not come with extra cost. For example it would do no good to run a tunnel to the house across the street since they would have the same 5mbit global limit. It is all going to be a cost thing, what does it cost in effect get second internet connection in a different location that has the higher bandwidth rating. You also have to worry about having a place to physically put the second router.

This is very similar to what people do when they want to pretend they are in a different city to watch netflix or pretend they are "working" from home . They build a tunnel to a friends house.

GRE has very little overhead compared to say openvpn because there is no encryption. Problem is GRE is "protocol" similar to TCP and UDP. Sometimes this traffic is blocked. openvpn is very popular because it uses TCP or UDP and can even use the same ports as a web server so it can get through pretty much anything.

You will need public IP on both ends to be able to use GRE. Using openvpn you can have a public IP on only 1 end.

Sound very messy but your plan in general will work.

Reactions: Giorgi379

Giorgi379

Reputable
May 12, 2020
That is strange they charge extra for traffic outside the country but if a greedy company can get people to pay for it they will charge extra for all kinds of things

It all depends on if you can get another location that has "global" traffic that does not come with extra cost. For example it would do no good to run a tunnel to the house across the street since they would have the same 5mbit global limit. It is all going to be a cost thing, what does it cost in effect get second internet connection in a different location that has the higher bandwidth rating. You also have to worry about having a place to physically put the second router.

This is very similar to what people do when they want to pretend they are in a different city to watch netflix or pretend they are "working" from home . They build a tunnel to a friends house.

GRE has very little overhead compared to say openvpn because there is no encryption. Problem is GRE is "protocol" similar to TCP and UDP. Sometimes this traffic is blocked. openvpn is very popular because it uses TCP or UDP and can even use the same ports as a web server so it can get through pretty much anything.

You will need public IP on both ends to be able to use GRE. Using openvpn you can have a public IP on only 1 end.

Sound very messy but your plan in general will work.
Thanks for answer which is best solution for this situation?
i dont care about encription its not important
i care about video calls and global internet speed
openvpn is not free and expensive?
except gre and openvpn there is no way ?

openvpn is free and is even supported by many consumer grade routers that have vpn support. Wiregaurd is another popular vpn used on consumer routers

There are are a number of other tunnel methods. There is stuff like PPTP and L2TP but they are not used much....again because they are not encrypted.

The most common vpn type used for point to point connections is IPSEC but it is rather complex to setup. It is still the way almost all business does vpn connection.

The tunneling method is actually the easier part. Your major problem is finding another location that has the service you want. A key thing you must have is a public IP address at least on one of the locations.
After that it is just all the technical details in setting it up.

Yes that will work. Again you must have public IP addresses on both ends if you use GRE.

Mikrotik routers are pretty advanced but I never looked at how you setup GRE on this I have only done this on cisco commercial routers. You are also likely going to have to setup static routes. For example the microtik router in the someones home must know that the 192.168.x.x networks used by your end device are on the far side of the gre tunnel and the local router needs to know that the default route is on the remote end of the tunnel. The GRE tunnel appears as a point to point ip connection.

Giorgi379

Reputable
May 12, 2020
Yes that will work. Again you must have public IP addresses on both ends if you use GRE.

Mikrotik routers are pretty advanced but I never looked at how you setup GRE on this I have only done this on cisco commercial routers. You are also likely going to have to setup static routes. For example the microtik router in the someones home must know that the 192.168.x.x networks used by your end device are on the far side of the gre tunnel and the local router needs to know that the default route is on the remote end of the tunnel. The GRE tunnel appears as a point to point ip connection.
thanks, and can i ecnrypt this traffic ?