Incredibles RPG?

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

First off I'm new here so let me say hello to all. My question is
this..... My wife,son and some of my friends all play 3.0 D&D and have
for a couple of years. My wife has just started running the Everquest
RPG. We have been talking about getting into other games as well. We all
love comics so I suggested The Incredibles RPG. I have the main GURPS
rulebook for 3rd ed. and wanted to know if GURPS Supers would be the
right choice for this kind of game? I'll have to teach them all a new
system but that shouldn't be to hard as I used to play GURPS alot in
high school.
Thanx

"Bruce Wayne" <Batman475@webtv.net> wrote in message
> First off I'm new here so let me say hello to all. My question is
> this..... My wife,son and some of my friends all play 3.0 D&D and have
> for a couple of years. My wife has just started running the Everquest
> RPG. We have been talking about getting into other games as well. We all
> love comics so I suggested The Incredibles RPG. I have the main GURPS
> rulebook for 3rd ed. and wanted to know if GURPS Supers would be the
> right choice for this kind of game? I'll have to teach them all a new
> system but that shouldn't be to hard as I used to play GURPS alot in
> high school.
> Thanx

GURPS supers would be the right source book if you're doing GURPS, but IMHO
Gurps isn't a very good system for superhero stuff.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Is there another system I should look for and why?

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 01:08:51 -0400, Batman475@webtv.net (Bruce Wayne)
wrote:

>Is there another system I should look for and why?

I'd suggest Silver Age Sentinels. It has a nice uncluttered combat
system and simple character design and doesn't fall apart at the
levels of super power you are looking at.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

--
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
"David Johnston" <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 01:08:51 -0400, Batman475@webtv.net (Bruce Wayne)
> wrote:
>
>>Is there another system I should look for and why?
>
> I'd suggest Silver Age Sentinels. It has a nice uncluttered combat
> system and simple character design and doesn't fall apart at the
> levels of super power you are looking at.

Since you're already familiar with DnD, Mutants and Masterminds is an
obvious choice. Of course Champions/Hero System is the granddaddy of the
all. BESM also works if you can get past Str and Dex being the same stat (I
can't, ruins it for me).

Bruce Wayne wrote:

> We all
> love comics so I suggested The Incredibles RPG. I have the main GURPS
> rulebook for 3rd ed. and wanted to know if GURPS Supers would be the
> right choice for this kind of game?

I'm not too familiar with The Incredibles, but I doubt it. If you can wait
for _GURPS Powers_ (not yet in print) and upgrade to 4e it might be
worthwhile. (Further details available on request.)

Jefferson
http://www.picotech.net/~jeff_wilson63/rpg/

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll check out champions and mutants and
masterminds. I've got one of the silver age sentinels books but I don't
care for it much.
Thanks again

raven@westnet.poe.com wrote:
> I've had great luck using
> Villians and Vigilantees for a very long ongoing campaign (the one that
> inspired GURPS IST world).

By chance is that also the one that inspired Bob Schroeck's
extraordinarily well written "Drunkard's Walk" story? As mentioned here:

http://www.eclipse.net/~rms/dw-faq.html#8b

If so, I envy you what sounds to have been a fantastic campaign !

Thanks,
-- Pat

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 09:04:03 -0400, Batman475@webtv.net (Bruce Wayne) wrote:
>Thanks for all the ideas. I'll check out champions and mutants and
>masterminds. I've got one of the silver age sentinels books but I don't
>care for it much.

I'm running an Incredibles gaming using Tri-Stat dX (which is basically
Silver Age Sentinels -- you don't have the d20 version, do you? The
Tri-Stat one is way better). My kids are playing and have no problem with
the system...you can also get Tri-Stat dX for free from their website (
http://www.guardiansorder.com/pdfs/goo_TriStatdX.pdf is a direct link to
the PDF).

If you do decide to check out the Hero system (which I like, but has a
fairly long learning time), you might want to start with Sidekick -- it's
the intro version and only $10 US (or $7 US if you buy the PDF from their
online store). The web forum at www.herogames.com is very busy and
helpful.

--
chuk

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Yeah I've got the D20 S.A.S and I'm not very impressed with it. Maybe
the other one would work better. I talked to my friend at the local game
store and he said that Mutants & Masterminds would be a great system for
what I wanna do. I'm going by there tonight so I'll give it a look see.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 01:08:51 -0400, Batman475@webtv.net (Bruce Wayne)
drained his beer, leaned back in the rec.games.frp.gurps beanbag and
drunkenly proclaimed the following

>Is there another system I should look for and why?

Hero system

http://www.herogames.com/

Well written, well developed, and pretty muc made for playing powerful
characters. For an Incredibles game, I'd suggest the following:

Hero System, 5th Edition, revised.

http://www.herogames.com/Products/hero5ER.htm

The complete rules. Everything you need to make characters and run
the game.

Conqueors, Killers, and Crooks

http://www.herogames.com/Products/CKC.htm

Because every hero needs some villians!

The UNTIL Superpowers Database

http://www.herogames.com/Products/USPD.htm

This is a great aid to character creation. It takes some common memes
in superhero comics and defines powers for them. For example, in the
Speedster section, you get different ways to build your super-speed
(from lots of Running to Teleportation with a limitation that you
actually have to pass through the intervening spaces) and powers that
simulate the tricks people like The Flash used (vibrating through
walls, hitting someone dozens of times in a second, etc.)
--

Douglas E. Berry Do the OBVIOUS thing to send e-mail
Atheist #2147, Atheist Vet #5

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as
when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pense'es, #894.

"Douglas Berry" <penguin_boy@mindOBVIOUSspring.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 01:08:51 -0400, Batman475@webtv.net (Bruce Wayne)
> drained his beer, leaned back in the rec.games.frp.gurps beanbag and
> drunkenly proclaimed the following
>
>>Is there another system I should look for and why?
>
> Hero system

<snip>
Yup. Hero system.

wrote:

>Is there another system I should look for and why?

try a game called champions or the hero system is the generic version.
was designed from the ground up for superheroing and works pretty well
for that. rather dismally fails to work for any other genre i've ever
tried to use it for though.
--
"Ineffective, unfocused violence leads to more violence. Limp,
panicky half-measures lead to more violence. However, complete,

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

I hope you also have the Incredibles DVD set. There's a section on the
bonus disk that has all kinds of information on the other superheros
that were in the world of the Incredibles. My favorite was DynaGuy.

Ralph Glatt

> Is there another system I should look for and why?

There are a couple of problems with GURPS Supers, at least in my opinion.
The main one is that GURPS is written to be fairly "realisitc" in that
people can sustain a fairly limited amount of damage. This doesn't lend
itself to a Supers game very well, where people are thrown through walls and
stuff like that. It's pretty easy to get people doing 10d impaling damage
and having 10 or 12 points of health standing between them and oblivion.

It's also possible to have people with a skillion points of Damage
Resistance and very few hitpoints beyond that, so that it takes a lot of
dice of damage to touch them but on a good roll of all those dice, they're
dead.

There are a number of fixes for this. In fact, I myself am planning to run
a GURPS supers game, because GURPS is all my group will play and I want to
do a supers campaign. But all in all I think that if you're not married to
a system then you might find a dedicated Supers game.

I used to have a lot of fun with Marvel Superheroes, but it's been so long
since I've played it I don't know if it's still available.

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:02:56 GMT, raven@westnet.poe.com wrote:

>Bruce Wayne <Batman475@webtv.net> wrote:
>> Is there another system I should look for and why?

>I'd recommend a dedicated Superhero Game system: I've had great luck using
>Villians and Vigilantees for a very long ongoing campaign (the one that
>inspired GURPS IST world).

<snip>

However, it's almost impossible to find a copy of V&V nowadays.

Speaking of superhero games it's almost impossile to find nowadays, the
original Marvel Super Heroes (the one with the white-green-yellow-red
result chart) is another good system for four-colour supers.

As for in-print systems... Don't know. We're a bunch of old fogeys in
my game group.

BTW, I think I've heard of your V&V game... (looks at sigfile)

--
Rob Kelk Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- wxfei -qbg- pbz
"As far as Doug is concerned, "dignity" is just a tragic disease that

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Well I went to my local game shop friday night and poured though the
superhero games they had and I ended up buying Mutants and Masterminds.
The only Silver age Sentinels game they had was d20 and I don't like it.
Champions looked really nice but seamed a little rules heavy for what I
wanted to do. I must say that M&M seems perfect! I love the way the game
is set up. It's easy and fast.
As for the question about the dvd set... yes I have it and loved it.
I think I'll use most of the heroes there as npc at some point. So
thanks for the help guys. I like this group and I think I'll be hanging
around for a while.

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:04:44 -0400, Batman475@webtv.net (Bruce Wayne) wrote:
> Yeah I've got the D20 S.A.S and I'm not very impressed with it. Maybe
>the other one would work better. I talked to my friend at the local game
>store and he said that Mutants & Masterminds would be a great system for
>what I wanna do. I'm going by there tonight so I'll give it a look see.

I've only paged through that and haven't really sat down with it -- I'm
kind of against d20 in general, but if it works for you, awesome.

--
chuk

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 06:19:36 +0000 (UTC), cgoodin@sfu.ca (Chuk Goodin)
wrote:

>On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:04:44 -0400, Batman475@webtv.net (Bruce Wayne) wrote:
>> Yeah I've got the D20 S.A.S and I'm not very impressed with it. Maybe
>>the other one would work better. I talked to my friend at the local game
>>store and he said that Mutants & Masterminds would be a great system for
>>what I wanna do. I'm going by there tonight so I'll give it a look see.
>
>I've only paged through that and haven't really sat down with it -- I'm
>kind of against d20 in general, but if it works for you, awesome.

M&M as befits the name, is as mutated as it is possible for a d20 game
to get.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 20:40:16 -0400, Rob Kelk <robkelk@deadspam.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:02:56 GMT, raven@westnet.poe.com wrote:
>
>>Bruce Wayne <Batman475@webtv.net> wrote:
>>> Is there another system I should look for and why?

>>I'd recommend a dedicated Superhero Game system: I've had great luck using
>>Villians and Vigilantees for a very long ongoing campaign (the one that
>>inspired GURPS IST world).
>
><snip>
>
>However, it's almost impossible to find a copy of V&V nowadays.

Which is a pity because it still has the best random superhuman
generator. I still use it to create characters that I will then
convert into other systems.

Bruce Wayne wrote:
> Well I went to my local game shop friday night and poured though the
> superhero games they had and I ended up buying Mutants and Masterminds.
> The only Silver age Sentinels game they had was d20 and I don't like it.
> Champions looked really nice but seamed a little rules heavy for what I
> wanted to do. I must say that M&M seems perfect! I love the way the game
> is set up. It's easy and fast.

With just a few minor adjustments Mutants & Masterminds can work
well with either Spycraft or d20 Modern. Been toying with the idea
of presenting a Spycraft game where the agents are sent to
investigate a super villain and his/her minions. Had a look at d20
Past as well last Thursday and it looks like it will be a fine
addition to modern/pulp fiction/ supers library as well.

Can't say I've had a look at the GURPS supers, so don't have a
baseline to compare features and benefits.

Re,
Dirk

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 05:38:37 -0700, "Shawn Wilson"
<Ikonoqlast@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Rob Kelk" <robkelk@deadspam.com> wrote in message
>
>> However, it's almost impossible to find a copy of V&V nowadays.
>

>Not at all. DrivethroughRPG sells all the V&V stuff (and hundreeds of other
>games) as PDF downloads-
>
>http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=70_108

I stand corrected... Thanks for the URL.