India's $35 Android 7-inch Tablet to Hit in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
If I can get one shipped to the U.S., $35 wouldn't be a bad price even just to try the thing out. Maybe even do what the OLPC people did, and double the price and donate a second one to some impoverished nation. I want a cheap tablet (however unfunctional) just to see if it serves a purpose before I dump a few hundred into a full-fledged Android tablet that I end up never using.

G

Holy crap 35 dollars,china is officialy out of bussines

------------------------

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
It doesn't have to substitute for a computer, just run text books that have been exported to HTML and save homework to an SD card till it can be uploaded to the classroom. This could be the PADD every other person on a starship is walking around with.

madeux

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
My inner geek desperately wants a tablet, and this thing would be perfect for trying out the concept to see if I'd actually use it. Even as an e-reader this thing would be great!

Morgan3rd

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
So... what it run on some stripped down Soc and AA batteries or something?

I wonder if McDonald's could eventually have a mini-tablet in a happy meal.

And having tried the OLPC laptop, it might have been the worst experience with technology I've ever had.

haunted one

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
The device is aimed at students in a developing country. I think it's a great price for it's purpose but it likely won't satisfy the needs of the average US consumer (at whom it's not targeted in the first place).

arjunp2085

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Made in India = don't buy.

Reason - child worker exploitation.

As If you Experienced it First Hand...

We do not have Child labor in High tech Industries....

Child labor is prevalent in small jobs to lean it (apprenticeship)...

Now Part Time job @ restaurants become child labor?? Then Your country will be on the top of the List

winner4455

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]arjunp2085[/nom]As If you Experienced it First Hand...We do not have Child labor in High tech Industries....Child labor is prevalent in small jobs to lean it (apprenticeship)...Now Part Time job @ restaurants become child labor?? Then Your country will be on the top of the List[/citation]

You know, the part time jobs is the Child's choice, which isn't exploiting them in any way...

G

I hope other laptop manufacturers join the bandwagon. That will drive down the prices too.Demand could be anywhere btn 30 mn to 50mn a year if it is done properly. I dont see HCL measuring up to the task ahead.

fans 6

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
YAY!!!

china will be ruined!!!

Sorry, but i don't like China

Better to give profit to a democracy than a tyrannical Communist marketing itself as the new world power.

haha, its just a paper tiger.

NeeKo

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
They already own the IT industry.. now with this on schools and so affordable.. give this 1-2 generations and you will see amazing results.

groveborn

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I have a cheap 7" tablet from China, and if it's any slower than that thing, I would find it less helpful than regular paper and pen. My device cost me 100 bucks or so, and it's ok for various things, but PDFs are not fun to use, and many other things are less than perfect. 35 bucks is...cheap. If it's as good or better, then it's a fine device for the intent.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mindspring[/nom]Made in India = don't buy. Reason - child worker exploitation.[/citation]
Well sir, you are merely speaking a troll. All countries have something dark about their industries. It is mere elitism to give such logic when people are so happy to have reducing prices on electronics, toys, clothes made in third world countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.