India's New $35 Tablet to Get Upgrades Ahead of Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazbot

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
That's cool and all but would you mind getting a different picture for the article? That guys expression is terrifying!

Well, these tabs are being used for Data and Census updates by the Government itself.... :) Haven't seen a single kid in any rural school use it until now.
You find most of the Grads who have just been hired by the local govt. to collect data from the people house to house going around with these. And you know what, they still have One tab to cater for over a million people..... It is the laugh of the century if I was to see it from the eIndia POV. Where you can buy tea off the internet to a Bugatti , we still lack any sort of infrastructure to actually make these so called fancy gadgets useful at the grass root level.
Even after collecting all the data, they do end up printing it on paper for the different departments of the govt. since most of them still work on the file system.
My personal experience with the Dept. of Telecom , New Delhi , has been and I'd like to translate and quote the Director General Telecom's words here
" Sir, you may keep harping about us going all hi-tech and dishing out all the e-services that we do to the people, but, sadly, in this department, we still function only on printed paper. We have PC's to work on and networks to handle the data, but, when it come's to working or functioning of the department, we strictly believe only in paper prints and hard copies. You can complete all the formalities online, but, they will not be held valid until you provide a printed copy of everything to us."

And believe me, the time it takes to get one piece of paper to move from one level to another is like going around the world on a camel and still being faster.

So all the crap about it being a 35 to 45 $ tab is really ..... dunno....like a bollywood movie.... nothing real all in the head.

[citation][nom]amigafan[/nom]For $35 you get a tablet with a touch screen, battery etc. Makes man wonder if that $35 Raspberry Pi is worth its price[/citation]

It's not. It has had competition that beats it in performance for a while, but it's competition hasn't been given quite as much attention.

[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Soo...a $35 tablet will get ICS before most $200-$300 mobile phones? *facepalm*[/citation]

To be fair, this tablet was supposed to have 2.2, not 4.0 in it. That they changed their minds at practically the last minute kinda makes a difference. Besides, most of the Android phones never got updated as much and as often as they should be. If you truly care, there's always the option of doing it yourself.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I'd buy a tablet like that for that price, probably double that (basically as a pdf viewer but still waiting to find a sub 100 buck tablet with expandable memory slot, and open droid not liek the archos limited playground... but yea thats abotu all i want shoudl be doable mayeb some will make it to the us for us cheapo people even if there is a 100% markup it'd sell :D

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]sidkof12[/nom]my buddy's mother makes $85 hourly on the computer. She has been without a job for eight months but last month her income was $21313 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this web site http://qr.net/iiwe[/citation]

Yeah tell us how she makes that money.

On her webcam she has every hole filled with a huge 10' c_ck and drinks glasses of c_m like they are protein shakes. Then when she is done she says "Thank you may I please have another, yum yum!"

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Wait-- isn't it $35 because of a combination of lousy hardware and government subsidy? If your country's government would give you one of those crappy drug store tablets [that are retail like $99] for $35, that'd be great to get tablets in everyones hands... but I think most people who have used a good tablet and one of these cheap ones would prefer nothing to one of those...

[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]Wait-- isn't it $35 because of a combination of lousy hardware and government subsidy? If your country's government would give you one of those crappy drug store tablets [that are retail like $99] for $35, that'd be great to get tablets in everyones hands... but I think most people who have used a good tablet and one of these cheap ones would prefer nothing to one of those...[/citation]

Like I said, it has better hardware than my android which is a fully usable phone (I think that the CPUs are about the same, but the Transform has less RAM and storage). For $35, this is better than a $150-200 smart phone. It would be very difficult to beat the value for the money that you'd get with this tablet. Besides, if I can use my phone without a problem, then this tablet should be fine. I do web browsing, Google Docs and more on it (having a small keyboard on the phone instead of using the fairly small 3.5" or 3.7" touch screen is a blessing for this stuff that a tablet with a much larger 7" screen doesn't need as much) and it can handle it, so I fail to see what the problem with this tablet is considering that overall, it's even better and is so cheap that it's hard to find an excuse to not get it unless you know for a fact that you have no interest in tablets, or at least not in a 7" tablet.

Even then, $35 is the kind of price in which you can just get it anyway and it won't hurt your finances to play around with. Even if it cost more like $50 or $60, it would still be a steal.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Go to a drug store and try out one of those $99 tablets [with resistive vs capacitive screens]. Check out any reviews on them as well. If I was offered one of those for $35, I would still spend $200 on a Fire or $400+ to get one of the good 10" tablets.

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]Damn, I'd kill for one of these, 35$, that would make the best XBMC remote ever![/citation]
You cannot see graduates holding this tablet coz u r not from IIT..Secondly,first wave of the tablet was not so good and the launch was recalled..This upgraded version has so much in it..Though it cannot stand in front of very high end tabs like that of apple but is more than sufficient for education purpose..Bloody traitor..

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]Well, these tabs are being used for Data and Census updates by the Government itself.... Haven't seen a single kid in any rural school use it until now.You find most of the Grads who have just been hired by the local govt. to collect data from the people house to house going around with these. And you know what, they still have One tab to cater for over a million people..... It is the laugh of the century if I was to see it from the eIndia POV. Where you can buy tea off the internet to a Bugatti , we still lack any sort of infrastructure to actually make these so called fancy gadgets useful at the grass root level.Even after collecting all the data, they do end up printing it on paper for the different departments of the govt. since most of them still work on the file system.My personal experience with the Dept. of Telecom , New Delhi , has been and I'd like to translate and quote the Director General Telecom's words here" Sir, you may keep harping about us going all hi-tech and dishing out all the e-services that we do to the people, but, sadly, in this department, we still function only on printed paper. We have PC's to work on and networks to handle the data, but, when it come's to working or functioning of the department, we strictly believe only in paper prints and hard copies. You can complete all the formalities online, but, they will not be held valid until you provide a printed copy of everything to us."And believe me, the time it takes to get one piece of paper to move from one level to another is like going around the world on a camel and still being faster.So all the crap about it being a 35 to 45 $ tab is really ..... dunno....like a bollywood movie.... nothing real all in the head.[/citation]
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]Damn, I'd kill for one of these, 35$, that would make the best XBMC remote ever![/citation]

You cannot see graduates holding this tablet coz u r not from IIT..Secondly,first wave of the tablet was not so good and the launch was recalled..This upgraded version has so much in it..Though it cannot stand in front of very high end tabs like that of apple but is more than sufficient for education purpose..Bloody traitor..

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
What if you gave them $350 for one, what would you get then? I would think if they realy wanted to they could flood the market with cheap 10.1" tablets than run faster and with larger memory and more options.

G

Every thing with this tablet from design to testing is done by students .Manufacturer only do final parts assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.