[SOLVED] Inexpensive External Drive Compatible with Windows 7 Pro

mft_38

Reputable
Dec 26, 2017
Greetings Community
I am still running Windows 7 Pro on HP 8770w workstation and want to continue until the very end. I want to know what is a good external backup drive that is compatible with Win 7. I know I can use Win Backup & Restore to manually transfer files? But are there, or were there any inexpensive external drives that are compatible with Win 7? Any opinions on WD Easystore 2TB external?

Solution
Is Macrium Reflect generic backup software like Acronis Products [Acronis True Image]? Acronis states they do not intend to end Win 7 support.
I've used it on all version of Windows from Win 7 and on.

You just have to be clear in your mind what, exactly, you're backing up.

I much prefer full drive or partitions.
There is no issue of "oh, I forgot to include that other folder".
As far as I know, virtually any USB connected external would be compatible with Windows 7.

The spinning drive externals are generally slow and commodity-level products. You may have good luck or bad. You will hear anecdotes about one or the other, but I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the stories. Cooling, longevity, speed, build quality are up for grabs.

I'd certainly try to get an SSD rather than a spinning drive if within your budget.

You can do better by buying your own enclosure and an SSD for it separately, but that may be beyond your level of interest.

Windows Backup and Restore is quite clunky and there are many better alternatives.

mft_38

Reputable
Dec 26, 2017
I brought WD Easystore 2TB for $59 and LaCie for $89 because they listed Win 7 compatibility. However, when you go thru registration for LaCie they advise you not to use the drive with their Toolkit but use the Win 7 Backup & Restore instead. Various sources and external drive manufacturers, including LaCie, have stated they will drop Windows 7 in mid-2022.

" 2. Pretty much any external will work"

OK. But I don't want software conflicts later with a manufacturer's updates if I use their drive software.

Is Macrium Reflect generic backup software like Acronis Products [Acronis True Image]? Acronis states they do not intend to end Win 7 support.

It is similar to Acronis. Acronis works sorta; but complaints are typically more than for Reflect.

It is normally used for backing up "systems" or "partitions" as opposed to personal data (pix of your cat), but it can do both.

You might want to distinguish between "system" backup and "personal data" backup and use different tools for each.....neither of which would be built into Windows.

Reactions: mft_38

USAFRet

Titan

Solution

mft_38

Reputable
Dec 26, 2017

Excellent. Still researching generic backup software. Aomei is highly favored. One thread on Reddit favors Macrium [speed and functionality] over Acronis [slow with feature overload]. The WD Easystore drive should meet my need storage needs with Macrium or Aomei.
Thank you for assistance.

USAFRet

Titan
Excellent. Still researching generic backup software. Aomei is highly favored. One thread on Reddit favors Macrium [speed and functionality] over Acronis [slow with feature overload]. The WD Easystore drive should meet my need storage needs with Macrium or Aomei.
Thank you for assistance.
I've used Macrium exclusively, for years.
It does what I've needed it to do.

And yes, that includes full recovery of the data that was on a dead and replaced drive.

Reactions: mft_38