infected hard drive

venomusgamer500

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
hello i believe my hard drive has ransomware on it reason being is because one day i decided
to get on my computer and my screen was black I could do ctrl alt delete but and open task manager so I know the drive isnt dead and when I went to task manager my disk was at 100% nonstop
so my guess is thats its a virus that forces the drive to constantly read that virus so I cant do anything ive even completely reset my computer and it still did it im scared to plug it in to my pc
because I dont want my ssd infected (note I got the ssd after the infection)

so basically what I'm asking is that I don't know what to do I could try and reformat it on my laptop
but I've never reformatted anything before I would even go so far as to sending this to someone
(in the unlikely event someone would do it for free) I'm only 15 so i don't have any money

Solution
If you plug the hard drive in to your computer as a secondary drive you'll be able to format it fine. Just DON'T go browsing around or running any programs from the infected drive. You will need a USB hard drive adapter to plug it in though.
If you plug the hard drive in to your computer as a secondary drive you'll be able to format it fine. Just DON'T go browsing around or running any programs from the infected drive. You will need a USB hard drive adapter to plug it in though.

Solution

bajgur

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016
also it could be that your HD is toasted (seem like bad sector)...

to my knowledge, ransomware, malware, virus etc wont stop you using your PC, they just slow-down your PC. after all they want to infect as many as they can (which cant be achieve if the pc is useless)....

venomusgamer500

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018

ok thanks

venomusgamer500

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018

if the harddrive is dead than wouldnt that mean that my windows wouldnt be running?

venomusgamer500

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018

im gonna try on my laptop because im not taking any chances however i also have a question since there is windows on both drives would that create any sort of problems when i plug it in?

bajgur

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016

if the "essential" windows files not in the bad sector area then windows will still be running (or maybe i should say "crawling")....