[SOLVED] Infinity Fabric Overclock and Zen 2 Ryzen 5 processors

Sep 21, 2019
I've seen video guides stating that It is harder to get FCLK past 1600Mhz on R5 3600, and if one pretend to overclock Infinity Fabric, then 3700X or 3600X would be the best pick.

So, is it really harder to get FCLK to 1800MHz on Ryzen 5 3600 than it is on 3600X, or is it a matter of silicon lottery?

Solution
I've watched Steve's Review, and he ran a 3700x / 3900x like most of the reviewers.

I'm concerned about the R5 3600 capability of achieving higher FCLK frequencies. It's a really good value pick overall, buy If It handicaps my FCLK/RAM Overclock headroom, I may consider going up for a 3600X for a $40 premium...
Well, everyone agrees the 3600X is basically the exact same CPU as the 3600 just binned higher. So if overclocking headroom was the discriminator in a purchase decision it would certainly get my nod too.
I've seen video guides stating that It is harder to get FCLK past 1600Mhz on R5 3600, and if one pretend to overclock Infinity Fabric, then 3700X or 3600X would be the best pick.

So, is it really harder to get FCLK to 1800MHz on Ryzen 5 3600 than it is on 3600X, or is it a matter of silicon lottery?

I wouldn't put much credence in those videos and certainly not make any broad generalizations based on their claims unless they had a pretty broad sampling of CPU's to work with. Steve (for instance) at GamersNexus is usually very careful to disclaim his overclocking results, and failures, so the reader/watcher understands he's working 'with a universe of one'. When he's more examples he'll start letting you know better what to expect.

Reactions: JaxBR and DMAN999
Sep 21, 2019
I wouldn't put much credence in those videos and certainly not make any broad generalizations based on their claims unless they had a pretty broad sampling of CPU's to work with. Steve (for instance) at GamersNexus is usually very careful to disclaim his overclocking results, and failures, so the reader/watcher understands he's working 'with a universe of one'. When he's more examples he'll start letting you know better what to expect.

I've watched Steve's Review, and he ran a 3700x / 3900x like most of the reviewers.

I'm concerned about the R5 3600 capability of achieving higher FCLK frequencies. It's a really good value pick overall, buy If It handicaps my FCLK/RAM Overclock headroom, I may consider going up for a 3600X for a $40 premium...

Well, everyone agrees the 3600X is basically the exact same CPU as the 3600 just binned higher. So if overclocking headroom was the discriminator in a purchase decision it would certainly get my nod too.

Solution