Question infrared camera - is there one suitable for general use

parsimonius

Reputable
Mar 19, 2021
I've gotten a bit interested in infrared pictures. From time to time I want to check my skin temperature on various areas of my body - surface not the internal temperature. So far, what I've discovered is that there are two basic categories - one for industrial/commercial use and one for human, something called Grade 1 which have very accurate temperature measurements. I'm not seeking that level of accuracy. Is there a general purpose infrared camera for the layman? A YouTuber uses Klein Tools TI250. It's at the top end of what is affordable for me. Are there other such cameras comparable to the TI250? Is there a forum somewhere that discusses infrared cameras suitable for casual scanning of surface skin temperature?

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
If you’re after an infrared camera for aesthetic purposes then there are many technicians that can remove the infrared filter from a digital camera’s CMOS sensor. Kolarivision is probably one of the better known workshops in the USA.

There’s a vibrant infrared photography scene out there, and you can often find used modified cameras for sale on eBay and other secondhand equipment stores.

For casual temperature measurement without pictures, a surface infrared thermometer gun is available from hardware/homeware shops.

TRENDING THREADS