Initial Chrome OS Cr-48 Hardware Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Really love the minimalist design here. I haven't really fallen for the idea of Chrome OS, but the hardware itself looks awesome.

A little meatier CPU would be better in my mind (ULV i3 perhaps), but other than that I think they nailed it.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I am not sure if I like this. Looks like a Macbook and a Macbook Air had a kid that was deformed because it did not have a dvi port but grew a vga port instead.

I am interested in checking out the OS but this hardware is a strange animal given what is out there today.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Really love the minimalist design here. I haven't really fallen for the idea of Chrome OS, but the hardware itself looks awesome.A little meatier CPU would be better in my mind (ULV i3 perhaps), but other than that I think they nailed it.[/citation]
Agreed and agreed. Simplicity is beautiful, and the only improvement I can think is a ULV C2D or i3, and maybe 4GB of RAM just because it's so damn cheap (for those of us who want to dual boot Windows, though I found Win7 x64 to be perfectly fine with a Pentium D and 1GB DDR2). For something like this, the IGP on a i3 would be perfectly fine.

I don't care if it's only a dev model, I still want one. :)

G

Just to clear up any confusion on the Wi-Fi and 3G parts:

The Wi-Fi is handled by the Atheros 9280 part from AzureWave and the Verizon 3G by the Gobi 2000 part from Novatel.

-Chrome Team Member

squanto

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]Agreed and agreed. Simplicity is beautiful, and the only improvement I can think is a ULV C2D or i3, and maybe 4GB of RAM just because it's so damn cheap (for those of us who want to dual boot Windows, though I found Win7 x64 to be perfectly fine with a Pentium D and 1GB DDR2). For something like this, the IGP on a i3 would be perfectly fine.I don't care if it's only a dev model, I still want one.[/citation]

Agreed, Agreed, Agreed, however supposedly it will not be possible to put a Win os on it says Google, but then again I'm sure some clever 12 year old will figure it out.

Sweet/cheap(hopefully) netbooks for all!!

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]Chrome Team Member[/nom]Just to clear up any confusion on the Wi-Fi and 3G parts:The Wi-Fi is handled by the Atheros 9280 part from AzureWave and the Verizon 3G by the Gobi 2000 part from Novatel.-Chrome Team Member[/citation]
Thanks for clarifying, Chrome Team Member!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I understand the push to the cloud, but even HTML5 requires some processing power, is that single-core atom going to be capable, or is this going to be just another underpowered netbook? My wife has an Aspire-One, and it chops a little with basic videos on YouTube (could be Windows, could be flash, who knows). Just because its from Google doesn't mean sub-standard hardware is going to cut it. Though, if other manufacturers put in more capable hardware, I suppose it will ease my concerns.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
But, without a logo, how will people know that I'm better than them and the products they associate with aren't as good as mine?

jabberwolf

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
"Borrowing another Apple design, the trackpad on the Cr-48 is one big clickable surface. "

First "another"? I hope you're not talking about SONY'S keyboard chiclet design that Apple copied?

Second - I HATE HATE HATE the 1 large mouse-pad. Sure it looks nice but I dont want the mouse moving (even the slightest) when I'm trying to click.
Its a nice looking design but functionally stupid!

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]I am not sure if I like this. Looks like a Macbook and a Macbook Air had a kid that was deformed because it did not have a dvi port but grew a vga port instead. I am interested in checking out the OS but this hardware is a strange animal given what is out there today.[/citation]
I would like to see them do away with analog on this new initiative. They could probably stack a DisplayPort on top of an HDMI port in the same amount of space as that VGA.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
no stupid stickers, no stupid logo... a thin, edgy, black matte device

i... love it. tired of glossy surfaces that just attract finger prints, i'm also fonder of square looking objects... rounded edges are just ehh

reminds me of my black nintendo dsi... oh god it's so pretty

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]jabberwolf[/nom]I HATE HATE HATE the 1 large mouse-pad. Sure it looks nice but I dont want the mouse moving (even the slightest) when I'm trying to click.Its a nice looking design but functionally stupid![/citation]
Couldn't agree more. If it like super cost effective just make the one big track pad, then at least make like the bottom quarter inch not sensitive for cursor movement.

I do like the two finger scroll though.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]WHY OH WHY IS IT ON X86 ? Even if it'll be cheaper than windows netbooks, people will buy them and put windows on them again.[/citation]

Kind of an unstated sales point, really.

I mean, when I sold sheep Intel Macs, I'd tell them, "Hey, if you don't like osX, you can always buy Windows and install it on this thing. Then you have something that looks like this... and you can actually use it."

G

THE DESIGN IS PERFECT, clean and black, it could be more black in the details, but still perfect. Methinks chrome OS is dead before released, but this design is so hot.

G

Quit getting hung up on the design and specs of the hardware. This is a testing unit given out for free to the pilot testers of the Chrome OS. It's strictly for feedback on the OS. You will not be able to buy this laptop. Google is not going to sell a Chrome OS laptop. They're not Apple... When Chrome OS is available pre-installed on laptops/netbooks, it will be from companies like Acer and Samsung and they will have their names on it and have their own designs.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Moken[/nom]Quit getting hung up on the design and specs of the hardware. This is a testing unit given out for free to the pilot testers of the Chrome OS. It's strictly for feedback on the OS. You will not be able to buy this laptop. Google is not going to sell a Chrome OS laptop. They're not Apple... When Chrome OS is available pre-installed on laptops/netbooks, it will be from companies like Acer and Samsung and they will have their names on it and have their own designs.[/citation]
I agree the design isn't something very important, for any computer, much less a reference sample. However, I think the specs of the machine ARE important. Google evidently thinks this software will run smoothly on a single-core Atom. Microsoft never made such claims until Windows 7 (in fact, they refused to sell Vista licenses to netbook OEMs because they knew it wouldn't work, and sold XP because they had nothing else). Apple doesn't make a "netbook" because of their own claims of inadequate performance (the iPad runs a different OS, so no telling when we might see an iOS netbook). Therefore, the inclusion of a single-core Atom (which puts this in a netbook class) is a statement being made by Google that says "look, we not only claim it should work, we're giving you a computer to prove it". Of course, if you can't even stream videos chop-free off YouTube (which Google owns), then they've only served to throw egg in their own face. Hopefully performance on these test samples does not suffer, else ChromeOS might not make it far off the ground.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
For everyone who loves the design... To bad you will never see it anywhere or be able to buy it. This is just a reference for vendors, who will stamp their logo all over the thing, and make other "improvements". :(

For everyone who doesn't like the processor choice... Fortunately, this is just a reference design and Chrome OS will run on any number of processors. This is just a reference for vendors, who will add their logo and make other improvements. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.