Question Initialize HDD after being cloned

KennyLee86

Commendable
Mar 3, 2021
Cloned my harddrive through ETCHER and when i go to disk manager its says its "unallocated" but if I initialize it, I have to format it?? How do i make it into a usable drive without wiping it?

KennyLee86

Commendable
Mar 3, 2021
I did
have 1 SSD
and 1 (2TB) HDD

I Just cloned the 2TB drive to a new 8TB HDD. So now i have 1 SSD and 2HDDs in my computer currenlty.

I want to replace the 2TB harddrive with the 8TB harddrive. so i can remove the 2 TB HDD and clear it and use it on another computer.

But in the disk management screen. the 8TB HDD is not intialized so its not accessible to my computer currently. It only says "Unallocated"

so all 3 of these drives (1SSD and 2 HDDs) are inside my computer now, I just dont want to removed the 2TB until the 8TB can take its place.

https://postimg.cc/yWwtds8V

Last edited:
My 2TB drive has mostly vids and games on it for youtube/streaming/etc. Just trying to upgrade to a slightly faster HDD and bigger. I have 8TB cloned already, just wont come up properly under disk management
You don't need to clone such a drive, just copy paste all the files to the 8Tb drive after you initialized and formatted the 8tb drive.
Also etcher is for usb/sd cards and while it should work with hdds as well there are more specialized apps for hdd cloning.