Initramfs -

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I must learn how to use it. I do not know how to go online with it.
Will it work with my wireless router?
I am going to install it on my empty hard drive.

linux_0

Splendid
Some wireless chipsets are horrible but Ubuntu can usually use them, although you may have to plug into a wired router to download the drivers EDIT: the first time that is

If you have a reasonable chipset you should be fine :)

Most of the time Ubuntu will automatically detect everything

Good luck and keep the questions coming :)

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I want to be go online with Ubuntu but I do not have a clue how to get it to recognize my Wifi card.
I really need step by step instructions.

linux_0

Splendid

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Getting Closer!

I now see that Ubuntu has recognized my WiFi card. It shows a few wireless networks, including my own. I do not know where to from here however.

Thanks

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Success! Somehow I got online with Ubuntu 8.10. I was running it off the CD, and it was sweet. Sometimes we forget little things. My password for the wifi had numerals in it. I did not realize that number pad was not responding. Tomorrow I will install it on the empty hard drive.

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I have been running Ubuntu 8.10 off the CD for the past couple of days. So far I like what I see. It immediately recognizes many networks, including my own.
Now the next step with the kind help of this forum.
I have two hard drives. One has Vista installed on it. The other is empty. I want to install it on the empty hard drive.
Now here is the problem.
I went into BIOS and checked the BOOT Priority screen. It does not allow for two hard drives to be listed there at the same time. Should I put the empty hard drive into the boot priority screen then install Ubuntu?
If there is a better way to do it, I will listen. I am happy with Vista, and I do not want to adversely affect it.

Thanks

linux_0

Splendid
Linux comes with the GRUB bootloader which allows you to boot multiple operating systems.

You could install GRUB onto /dev/sdb ( your second SATA HDD ) and change your boot order in the BIOS to boot from your 2nd hard drive.

If you do that, you won't disturb vista at all on the first hard drive.

Make sure you use the empty drive during the partitioning process.

Good luck :)

linux_0

Splendid
Yes.

In that case change your BIOS boot order to

0. CD/DVD ( you need to boot from the Ubuntu CD to install )

1. EMPTY HDD ( this should show up as /dev/sda under the ubuntu installer after you change the BIOS boot order, although your BIOS may vary )

2. VISTA HDD or NONE ( this should show up as /dev/sdb and should show your Vista partitions )

3. NONE

4. NONE

When you get to the Ubuntu partitioner make sure you do not make any changes to your vista drive.

Create the partitions on the empty drive and then install GRUB on that same drive and not the vista drive with the NTFS partition.

If you haven't got a backup of your vista system now may be a good time to do it before you do anything else.

Good luck :)

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
There is really nothing that needs backing up. If necessary, I can always install Vista again.
Once Ubuntu is installed, upon booting up, how do I select which hard drive I want?

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Thanks, I think I had enough for the night. I will play some of the old tv shows on fancast.

thanks again, it was a long journey, but I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.