Question Input Lag/Display Problems Related to Power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Well here goes, Ive been dealing with this issue for awhile so hopefully I can get some advice.

Symptoms:

Input lag across the board in both games and windows, both mouse and keyboard inputs are inconsistent and change over time. At times the dpi increments on my mouse hardly change the sensitivity, other times it adjusts a ton. The monitor display suffers hitches, and micro stutters, of the same varying consistency. Makes game play at 140fps and below look and feel like 60 or lower. Internet webpages load slower, you tube videos and twitch buffer at random times with no packet loss. At times the lag is minimal at times its unbearable. The input lag and video hitches seem entirely inconsistent however I have found that nearly any hardware state change/software change can affect it to varying degrees. This is 100% not a software problem as I have seen this across multiple versions of Windows, games, a Nintendo switch as well.

Things I have tried:

3 different PC's (completely different specs)
3 different monitors (120hz, 144hz, 240hz)
5 different mice (Logitech G-Pro x2 models , Razer Deathadder x3 models)
3 different mousepads
3 different keyboards
Using different circuits and configurations around the house. (some work better than others, however input lag is still present)
Different power strips, power conditioners
Tested for outlet grounding with 3 pronged tester.

Things that change the mouse/keyboard behavior and monitors display quality:

Moving the monitor/router/modems/pcs power cord to different outlets, different power strips etc. Note: My Wi-Fi does not even work if my router/modem are on the same outlet/power strip- the signal shows up but no connection.
Changing which USB ports the keyboard/mice are plugged into.
Applying tinfoil to any power cord, or mice/keyboard USB cables.
Applying Ferrite beads to any of the above cords.
Changing nearly any BIOS/Windows 10 settings.
Adjusting GPU fan/power settings.
Adjusting nearly any settings in NVIDIA control panel change the mouse behavior.
Adjusting/propping up the GPU (seems like the positioning changes mouse behavior heavily).
Changing case fan profiles- usually lowering fan speed/power is better.
Monitor settings (brightness, color, resolution).
Placing phone onto the PC case (doubles mouse sensitivity immediately).
Changing where the router/modem is or moving the power cords.
Separating all cables from each other.

Other things of note:

Nintendo Switch controllers have the same input lag.
PC hums when its plugged in but not on. Sound quality on headphones/speakers is occasionally better or worst. Speakers have an audible hum.

So I am a bit at a loss, it has to be something with my houses wiring or a ground loop being created somewhere, raising the noise floor in the system which in turns causes data loss? There seems to be others out there with nearly the exact same symptoms but none of the solutions they have given so far seem to solve the problem indefinitely. The input lag always comes back and mouse/keyboard behavior is totally inconsistent. At times it operates nearly perfectly but not for long.

I am considering purchasing a double conversion UPS as some people recommended that if it is power related, which I do not see how it couldn't be. Anyway if you have any thoughts/advice it would be much appreciated. There seems to be more than a few people out there with this problem or close to it. A few of us cross referenced symptoms and affects and found nearly the exact same things. How can I fix it if its a ground loop or other power related issue? Thanks if this is the wrong place to ask point me in the right direction.

Some other threads/docs relating to the issue:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/bafhfe/update_after_years_of_mouse_input_lag_and_other/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/5kdwoq/mouse_movement_is_delayedweirdinconsistent_and/

https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-i...os-optimization-guide-modern-pc-hardware.html

https://www.overclock.net/forum/375...my-mouse-lag-general-input-lag-problem-5.html

https://community.amd.com/thread/235028

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16546-Major-input-lag-caused-by-Power-issues-in-House

Reactions: MrVIT

Lutfij

Titan
With all things posted in your thread, you forgot to include your specs to the system. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Which version of Windows 10 have you tried? You mentioned using other OSes, list them. Since you're dealing with Logitech and Razer, please be aware that they have their own proprietary app to manage the mouses settings. Latest BIOS update for your motherboard?

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
CPU: Intel i5 8600k
Motherboard: Asrock Taichi z370
Ram: 16GB (8x2) GSkill 3200 mhz CL14
SSD/HDD: Intel SSD 760P 512GB M2 SSD
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G3
Chassis: Phantek Entho Evolv Tempered Glass

The other OS I have used are Windows 7 Home Ultimate edition and Windows 8. I plug and play my mouse only, I have never installed the bloatware that is logitech/razers proprietary apps. I have used multiple BIOS versions on all the (3) PCs I have tried and this problem is apparent across all of them. Like I have said this is 100% not a software problem.

Nov 3, 2019
I have the same problem for 8 months and counting now. My input lag isn't as bad on some days then others but it is always there and always noticeable. I have tried power conditions, double conversion UPS's, trying my PC in another room.

Trying my PC in another room was the only one that really felt like it improved the responsiveness of my mouse for a few hours then it was back to good old input lag. I am currently in the process of upgrading my internet which means switching ISP so will see if that helps but I highly doubt it will.

I really thought my problem would be resolved by the double conversion UPS as others with similar problems to us said that this fixed it. But it did not make a difference for me which is really strange. I'm no expert but as far as I'm aware, double conversion UPS's remove any electrical interference and provides clean power. So I guess my problem is not electrical related? Lol, I don't know but I am sick of this <Mod Edit>.

And yeah, I've tried new mouses, monitors, PC's too. Didn't fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RandomName755
Nov 4, 2019
I have the same problem for 8 months and counting now. My input lag isn't as bad on some days then others but it is always there and always noticeable. I have tried power conditions, double conversion UPS's, trying my PC in another room.

Trying my PC in another room was the only one that really felt like it improved the responsiveness of my mouse for a few hours then it was back to good old input lag. I am currently in the process of upgrading my internet which means switching ISP so will see if that helps but I highly doubt it will.

I really thought my problem would be resolved by the double conversion UPS as others with similar problems to us said that this fixed it. But it did not make a difference for me which is really strange. I'm no expert but as far as I'm aware, double conversion UPS's remove any electrical interference and provides clean power. So I guess my problem is not electrical related? Lol, I don't know but I am sick of this <Mod Edit>.

And yeah, I've tried new mouses, monitors, PC's too. Didn't fix it.

Join this group to discuss the issue
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/Mouseinputlagiskillingme

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I've had this for almost 2 years now. 144hz feels like 60, 1440p looks like 900p, audio isn't as good anymore, everything is laggy. I am cursed.

Yup it is easily the most complex problem I have ever seen or heard of happening to modern PCs. Alot of people have it unfortunately. Have you checked all your houses electrical?

Nov 22, 2019
Yup it is easily the most complex problem I have ever seen or heard of happening to modern PCs. Alot of people have it unfortunately. Have you checked all your houses electrical?
Yeah I'm sure it is related somehow to electrical wiring, but I've had people say everything's fine. Maybe it's wireless frequencies? Anyway I'm moving house soon, hoping that fixes it.

Nov 4, 2019
Watch the, now edited, "colorful" language, please. Thank you.
Yeah I'm sure it is related somehow to electrical wiring, but I've had people say everything's fine. Maybe it's wireless frequencies? Anyway I'm moving house soon, hoping that fixes it.

It's not electricity or at least not for me and I thought that would be the solution once I moved out to another apartment :?

<<EDITED>> wierd.

Nov 4, 2019
Do you have the same problems with bad visual and audio quality, as well as the general lagginess?

Yeah
If you do a factory reset or reinstall GPU everything will be smooth for few hours than the lag will slowly creep back. It's something to do with hardware/drivers/cables/case but I can't say exactly what or maybe it is mix of everything

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I don't know what it is anymore because input lag also seem to dissapear late at night most of the time
I tried googling everything and nothing similar comes out except few threads like this and they are unsolved

I think its something to do with case, taking everything out of front panel headers except for power switch helps alot with the input lag but im still getting the blurry display/hitches. I think its something to do with the case/PSU or a cable connecting them.

x7007

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2015
Did anyone detect a fix? the same issue had it for a long time on windows 7 like 10 years ago. I saw the mouse changes in real-time. one time it was super accurate like extremely accurate precision, but I went to sleep and didn't test too much.

EDIT: I have an idea. did any of you try to mess with FAN Speed, RPM and such? I think the SMM
I think the problem we have is something with the SMM - the device/chipset related to FAN Control and other devices.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Management_Mode

Seems like the USB fights for interrupts
https://flylib.com/books/en/3.356.1.156/1/

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019
Very glad that found this forum. I understand that no one has found an adequate solution to this problem? I'm from Russia and apparently I also have a problem with the wiring)) but the problem is that I changed the PC completely except for the video card. Andddddd Yes Yes Yes, in another apartment with a different wiring situation has not changed.. Any suggestions?

Dec 31, 2019
the problem began A year ago, the mouse began to swim, bought a new pc, monitor, mouse, everything. Now I'm in another apartment and the problem remains, I do not know what to do

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Well I tried a Double Converison UPS and it helps very slightly with input consistency but of course no fix. Maybe a few years down someone with the proper diagnostic tools can figure this out, as I and everyone I have spoken too (near 20 people with identical issues) has not found the source of our issue. I know of 1 person that moved to a new location and fixed it, and 1 that somehow reversed the problem so that when he messes with settings and hardware the lag comes back for a few minutes but always cleans up within a few minutes. There are a ton of contradicting factors here that make it seemingly impossible to find out what the actual cause here. My current theory is electrical wiring issues in the home- likely grounding issues, cause our cables to become antennas and pickup RFI. If you change Wifi settings you will find that the mouse changes- even if you are not connected to Wifi or Ethernet on your PC. Anyway this is just a theory and I truly have no clue what causes this. If you have any real ideas share em!

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Did anyone detect a fix? the same issue had it for a long time on windows 7 like 10 years ago. I saw the mouse changes in real-time. one time it was super accurate like extremely accurate precision, but I went to sleep and didn't test too much.

EDIT: I have an idea. did any of you try to mess with FAN Speed, RPM and such? I think the SMM
I think the problem we have is something with the SMM - the device/chipset related to FAN Control and other devices.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Management_Mode

Seems like the USB fights for interrupts
https://flylib.com/books/en/3.356.1.156/1/

I did try to mess with FAN speeds. They certainly affect the mouse, in fact the less fans I run in my PC, the better the mouse performance was. Is there any way to confirm if it is SMI related? How would we detect if something is interfering there?

Status
Not open for further replies.