Question Input Lag/Display Problems Related to Power?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Well here goes, Ive been dealing with this issue for awhile so hopefully I can get some advice.

Symptoms:

Input lag across the board in both games and windows, both mouse and keyboard inputs are inconsistent and change over time. At times the dpi increments on my mouse hardly change the sensitivity, other times it adjusts a ton. The monitor display suffers hitches, and micro stutters, of the same varying consistency. Makes game play at 140fps and below look and feel like 60 or lower. Internet webpages load slower, you tube videos and twitch buffer at random times with no packet loss. At times the lag is minimal at times its unbearable. The input lag and video hitches seem entirely inconsistent however I have found that nearly any hardware state change/software change can affect it to varying degrees. This is 100% not a software problem as I have seen this across multiple versions of Windows, games, a Nintendo switch as well.

Things I have tried:

3 different PC's (completely different specs)
3 different monitors (120hz, 144hz, 240hz)
5 different mice (Logitech G-Pro x2 models , Razer Deathadder x3 models)
3 different mousepads
3 different keyboards
Using different circuits and configurations around the house. (some work better than others, however input lag is still present)
Different power strips, power conditioners
Tested for outlet grounding with 3 pronged tester.

Things that change the mouse/keyboard behavior and monitors display quality:

Moving the monitor/router/modems/pcs power cord to different outlets, different power strips etc. Note: My Wi-Fi does not even work if my router/modem are on the same outlet/power strip- the signal shows up but no connection.
Changing which USB ports the keyboard/mice are plugged into.
Applying tinfoil to any power cord, or mice/keyboard USB cables.
Applying Ferrite beads to any of the above cords.
Changing nearly any BIOS/Windows 10 settings.
Adjusting GPU fan/power settings.
Adjusting nearly any settings in NVIDIA control panel change the mouse behavior.
Adjusting/propping up the GPU (seems like the positioning changes mouse behavior heavily).
Changing case fan profiles- usually lowering fan speed/power is better.
Monitor settings (brightness, color, resolution).
Placing phone onto the PC case (doubles mouse sensitivity immediately).
Changing where the router/modem is or moving the power cords.
Separating all cables from each other.

Other things of note:

Nintendo Switch controllers have the same input lag.
PC hums when its plugged in but not on. Sound quality on headphones/speakers is occasionally better or worst. Speakers have an audible hum.

So I am a bit at a loss, it has to be something with my houses wiring or a ground loop being created somewhere, raising the noise floor in the system which in turns causes data loss? There seems to be others out there with nearly the exact same symptoms but none of the solutions they have given so far seem to solve the problem indefinitely. The input lag always comes back and mouse/keyboard behavior is totally inconsistent. At times it operates nearly perfectly but not for long.

I am considering purchasing a double conversion UPS as some people recommended that if it is power related, which I do not see how it couldn't be. Anyway if you have any thoughts/advice it would be much appreciated. There seems to be more than a few people out there with this problem or close to it. A few of us cross referenced symptoms and affects and found nearly the exact same things. How can I fix it if its a ground loop or other power related issue? Thanks if this is the wrong place to ask point me in the right direction.

Some other threads/docs relating to the issue:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/bafhfe/update_after_years_of_mouse_input_lag_and_other/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/5kdwoq/mouse_movement_is_delayedweirdinconsistent_and/

https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-i...os-optimization-guide-modern-pc-hardware.html

https://www.overclock.net/forum/375...my-mouse-lag-general-input-lag-problem-5.html

https://community.amd.com/thread/235028

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16546-Major-input-lag-caused-by-Power-issues-in-House

Reactions: MrVIT
Dec 31, 2019
Yup exactly what I noticed. I currently think the cause is ethernet/ISP lines picking up the interference and I have some evidence to support that but need to test further.
only when you turn off the vents, the mouse starts to move a little differently, but for a while and then again how it was, but it started on me on the old pc where I didn’t change anything

Jan 3, 2020
Mientras juego y tengo Google Chrome abierto, el problema se agrava cuando el navegador está cerrado, cuando transmito en Twitch parece que llegué 2 segundos tarde, pero cuando probé la PC de un amigo con el juego, abrí Chrome y Estaba transmitiendo en contracción sentí tan suave y perfecto que no quería dejar de jugar xD

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019
Mientras juego y tengo Google Chrome abierto, el problema se agrava cuando el navegador está cerrado, cuando transmito en Twitch parece que llegué 2 segundos tarde, pero cuando probé la PC de un amigo con el juego, abrí Chrome y Estaba transmitiendo en contracción sentí tan suave y perfecto que no quería dejar de jugar xD
I don’t understand how it’s possible. A new PC doesn’t help, new devices too, a monitor, in another apartment, the same thing, how can it be inexplicable nonsense, the feeling that the PC is sick

Jan 3, 2020
I have asked in Facebook communities about the problem but it seems that in my country nobody has the problem or they are too stupid to realize that they are late or only happens to me because of the people I know nearby nobody seems to have the problem

Dec 31, 2019
I have asked in Facebook communities about the problem but it seems that in my country nobody has the problem or they are too stupid to realize that they are late or only happens to me because of the people I know nearby nobody seems to have the problem
Same, it makes no sense. Same ISP when you moved?
like Yes, but I was in another city for 100 km, and if there was an Internet problem it would be solved by simply disconnecting, this is complete nonsense what is happening

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
United States. We have good electrical regulations here, and it seems to me like most folks I encounter with this problem are located in places where infrastructure is definitely worst. Even still I have spoken to 3 from the UK, 4 from Canada, 2 more from the US, 1 from Denmark etc. So I am not sure what kind of scenario causes this issue to be apparent but my guess would be some crazy groundloop/grounding issues being the case. Not sure how and there are things that can rule this out like an isolation transformer however I have yet to try.

Jan 3, 2020
Can you tell me a bit about your problems guys.

I have the same problem as you, the input lag increases considerably with time in the games but in windows I do not perceive it much, in the bios yes and much like in the games, any configuration that modifies in windows, nvidia panel or in the Bios improves the sensation but for a few minutes, I don't know why but I deactivated the Windows firewall and it felt better that you were born but for a few minutes and it was like before, I have also tried deactivating the turbo intel, c-states, all the options that I have seen on the internet that could improve the sensation but it works the same as before, it is again as bad as ever

test different power cables, different hdmi and display port and the same with 3 different monitors, test all the electrical outlets of my house I have even tested in 4 different houses with equal results, as you said you may damage some part of the components or I dont know. I noticed my problem when I was playing rainbow six and after playing a few minutes I was feeling that they killed me a lot and that my mouse felt weird, but I said in my mind that maybe it was psychological, my game monitor did not look as fluid as some Sometimes the menu of the game was slow compared to the people who stream the game of them is fluid and I saw mine and it was slow until I googled and saw your publication and I knew I had another problem. Unfortunately I can't call an electrician to check my connections since it's my grandparents' house and I don't think he likes to check the house xd. the other would be to buy the ups online to see if it improves the sensation as you put the sensation improved but not quite. This is the one I want to buy but I don't know if it works

http://dmu.cl/ups/ups-en-linea/ups-online-220vac-1kva-kaise

Jan 3, 2020
sorry for my english, I'm doing my best
xd

this happens to my game
This should not happen without the problem, my friends tell me that it does not happen
that's just the menu, the gameplay is worse, I'm trying to make 2 videos where the difference of the softness of the mouse is shown when I don't have the problem and when I have it

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4cqrWjTlj4

Last edited:

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
sorry for my english, I'm doing my best
xd

this happens to my game
This should not happen without the problem, my friends tell me that it does not happen
that's just the menu, the gameplay is worse, I'm trying to make 2 videos where the difference of the softness of the mouse is shown when I don't have the problem and when I have it

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4cqrWjTlj4
Yup looks exactly like what I have seen. Nice job getting video of it, I can totally relate to having game menus lag a ton like that. Can you share your post in the other thread on OCN, hoping to focus all the documenting of this over there. Both your videos look exactly like my <Mod Edit>. Have you tried messing with physical stuff? Ferrites on cables, seperating all cables from eachother etc? Thanks for chiming in here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 3, 2020
Yup looks exactly like what I have seen. Nice job getting video of it, I can totally relate to having game menus lag a ton like that. Can you share your post in the other thread on OCN, hoping to focus all the documenting of this over there. Both your videos look exactly like my <Mod Edit>. Have you tried messing with physical stuff? Ferrites on cables, seperating all cables from eachother etc? Thanks for chiming in here!

I've tried separating the wires and it's the same. I have not tried placing more ferrites since my mouse comes with 1, my hearing aid too. The cables that do not bring ferrites are the power supply cable, the keyboard and the HDMI

Last edited by a moderator:

imhp94

Reputable
May 27, 2017
Hello ,
i thought i should give some updates since i want to resolve this for as many people as possible .
firstly make sure you are not running your hardware on crazy high temp , if you are feeling like your input kag increases with time then it might me your gpu and cpu running too hot .

for me it wasnt , the problem was strange since some days was fine and most other days super inconsistant and pretty much exactly what OP derscribed . the way i tested it was getting a log cable and using the different outlets in my house , most of them were faulty ( somehow ) and there was 2-3 good ones in the house , if you moved places and rooms and your problem is still there , there is still a chance that those places were broken as well , maybe invest in a furman mx10 to see if it changes things or not , also it probably wont make it normal 100% it will just make it less noticable .

Status
Not open for further replies.