Question Input lag issues virtually unfixable

Status
Not open for further replies.

xShud

Prominent
Apr 29, 2019
I've tried literally everything to fix my input lag issues. A couple hours ago, I upgraded my gtx 960 to the RTX 2060 because I thought there was a problem with my 960.. Nothing changed. I've switched 144hz monitors 3 times and nothing has changed with my input lag, and I've went through my windows settings to make sure everything was correct atleast 2 times now. I've also tried switching my monitor to 60hz and turning the resolution down and I still have the exact same input lag. I've also disabled audio card drivers with and nothing changed.

For more information on what I'm experiencing, there's a slight delay on keyboard interactions showing up on the screen, and even worse mouse input lag. Sometimes the mouse moves slightly more than I want it to, and slightly less than I want it to, no matter how accurate and persistent I am with movement. There's also a definite 100-300ms delay from when I move the mouse to when it actually shows up on the screen.

I have another PC that has absolutely no issues with input lag at all, but I can't use it much. Same mousepad, same keyboard, and same mouse on that computer works completely fine with no delay.

FPS in games is not the issue, because I keep a consistent 200+ fps with no vsync and I still get a noticeable amount of input lag. Even when my computer is on idle and I'm on the desktop, It's extremely noticeable.

Someone please help me, I've been trying to fix this issue for the past 3 months now and I have no idea what could be causing it. Yes, I've tried different ports, I've even taken apart most of my computer and put it back together with no avail.

I feel like I'm the only person in the world with this issue, because I've searched up so many different things regarding input lag, and nothing works, or even comes up with the issue that I'm actually having.

Specs:
RTX 2060 6GB
Ram - 8GB
CPU - i7-4790
Power supply - 550w

boju

Titan
Ambassador
This is a weird one. 144Hz and no vsync should be getting none of that. I've been gaming for many years having experienced all sorts of displays from plasma to lcds TVs, 60hz to 144hz monitors and capping fps a couple frames less to 58 so i could use vsync with 60Hz displays to reduce tear without the input lag. Only display i had trouble with lag was an lcd TV i had. Out of all the displays ive played on, 144Hz Gsync has been the greatest experience.

With that said, your issue is an odd ball and may take some time to figure out.

Firstly, the 144Hz monitor's you switched, were they different models? What's your current monitor now? Does it have Gsync or Freesync?

---

Have you tried using DDU in safemode to wipe Nvidia drivers and start again from scratch?

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

---

Do you use Geforce Experience to optimise games?

---

Have you tried reinstalling Windows?

---

What are cpu temps like while playing games?

xShud

Prominent
Apr 29, 2019
Firstly, the 144Hz monitor's you switched, were they different models? What's your current monitor now? Does it have Gsync or Freesync?

The first one was an acer xf270h which I returned and got the HP 25x monitor which my friend has with no issues. This switch did not fix my issue. I have freesync, but when I enable it the input lag is twice as bad.

Have you tried using DDU in safemode to wipe Nvidia drivers and start again from scratch?

I've gone in safemode and reinstalled my gpu drivers and nothing happened.
Also, I literally just got the rtx 2060 a couple hours ago, I don't think my 2 gpus would conveniently have the same issue.

Do you use Geforce Experience to optimise games?

Yes, I did, but then I removed it because I thought it was causing problems, but that wasn't the issue.

Have you tried reinstalling Windows?

Yes.

What are cpu temps like while playing games?

My cpu temps are normal during gameplay, but I don't think this would matter because I get input lag when nothing else is open aswell.

I was just playing Fortnite without my mousepad just as a test, and I realized that the mouse movement is much more smooth on my desk. Maybe I need to clean my mousepad?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Possibly mouse pad / mouse acceleration. If there are raw mouse input options in games you play try that.

I was under the impression keyboard was also suffering input lag so didn't think to suggest mouse settings/surfaces.

Sure the games are running in proper fullscreen mode? It coud be maximized window which causes the DWM to basically vsync the game together with the rest of the desktop. With a single monitor it basically looks the same (with a multi monitor setup you could check if you can move the mouse out of the game onto the other screen)
Mouse set to raw input (of the game offers that setting)
Mouse acceleration disabled everywhere?
What happens if you use a different user profile? Maybe something is misconfigured. A new profile should use the defaults in many places.
Does the lag only happens in online games or also in pure local singleplayer games? Maybe there is some networking causing the issues.
You could try to reinstall your mouse driver, maybe some setting got stuck there. Had the weirdest stuff in the past (like one game profile using the dpi of the desktop profile, no matter what I set as default for the game)

xShud

Prominent
Apr 29, 2019
Yes, my games are running in proper full screen mode. I have a 2nd monitor and when I have my games open I am unable to drag my mouse to my other monitor when in-game.

I prefer enhanced pointer precision over raw mouse input, because I've been using that setting for years and I used to have no issues. With raw mouse input, it feels really different and the movement on screen does not match my actual mouse input at all.

I'm not sure if this means anything, but I have a bootable usb flash drive that I used to use sometimes and I booted it up and I have the same exact input lag as on my main drive.

Every single game has this inconsistent input lag, offline or online. Pure mouse movement with nothing else open is also inconsistent.

I've tried reinstalling my mouse drivers a couple times and nothing happened.

When I remove my mouse pad off my desk, and I just use my desk as a surface for my mouse, I don't feel any input lag. I would just stick to playing with my desk as a surface, but it's harder to aim and less accurate. I have a gaming mouse pad that I've been using for around 6 months now and I haven't cleaned it since I got it. Can that be the issue? If so, how should I go about cleaning my mouse pad without ruining it? I feel like this could be the issue because I take my mousepad back and forth every other weekend in a backpack and maybe it's collected some dust/grime.

xShud

Prominent
Apr 29, 2019
I cleaned my mousepad and it did nothing to fix it. I might just buy a new mousepad as my last test to see what can be causing this. If it's not the mousepad's problem, I have no idea what's causing the input lag

xShud

Prominent
Apr 29, 2019
I bought a brand new mousepad and the input lag is no different. Can anyone help? It's completely impossible to be accurate with the sluggish mouse movement and inconsistency im experiencing

For more information: If I move my mouse to the right and left once really fast, there's a pretty noticeable delay from when I ACTUALLY stopped in real life to the actual movement on the screen. If you've ever used vsync on a 60hz monitor playing a game, and noticed input lag in that game, that's exactly how it feels on my PC but not just in games, my normal mouse movement outside of gaming is delayed.

Last edited:

xShud

Prominent
Apr 29, 2019
To be honest, I'm not quite sure if I can notice keyboard lag as much as I do mouse lag. I actually tried the default mouse that came with my PC earlier, and it's the same amount of input lag as my gaming mouse. I use the same mouse on both of my computers and I can only notice a delay on this computer.

xShud

Prominent
Apr 29, 2019
My friend uses enhanced pointer precision with no issues, and I prefer it aswell because it feels more natural to me. This setting has never caused issues to me or anyone I know, and even if I disable it the pointer doesn't move naturally at all with my movements.

xShud

Prominent
Apr 29, 2019
Can anyone help I'm extremely desperate at this point i've tried everything I could think of in the past 3 months and I just reset my pc and it changed nothing... Nothing I look up on google matches the issues im having it feels like im moving my mouse on ice

Reactions: SeanTheBomb96

sifsif123

Commendable
Jan 7, 2019
I have the exact same problem and its pissing me off! have seen a couple of poeple also having this but NOONE has any real solutions :( i think its such a deep problem that noone on google really has the knowledge to know anything about. my only guess is some usb conflicts or some usb hub problem or something. I would greatly appreciate if you let me know if you have or when you have found a solution to tell me about it. thanks! AND GOOD LUCK :D

Reactions: SeanTheBomb96

fatehasfans

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2016
I have the EXACT same problem. - floaty mouse, keyboard not registering all key-presses (is this called input lag?), and mild stuttering in games when I pan camera, but also I can see little jitter when I move mouse across screen in desktop - very very subtle but it's there.

It started as an initial issue with my old computer and I put it down to the GFX card so went and bought a GTX 1080ti. Problem remained, so one by one I changed every item in the computer until I had a new machine + monitor.

I've tried everything you can imagine:

• Changing/updating drivers
  • Removing mouse drivers/files etc + MarkC's mouse program
  • New hardware
  • Trying different OS (Win 7)
  • Some bios tweaks (I don't know bios that well), like Hpet, and disabling enabling boosting options (Hyperthreading, Turbo boost etc)
  • Disabling/removing audio files (Nvidia and Realtek etc)
  • Moving internal cables around + disconnecting front panel, fans etc etc.

I can kind of tell that the problem has to do with the monitor, mouse or keyboard because it feels more internal as if there is a very slight bottleneck somewhere or something is slightly disconnected or not getting enough power, that's the only way I can describe it.

It's so subtle too probably because my computer is quite powerful, but it's killing my competitive ability. I can't play any games 100% the way they're supposed to be played and it's extremely depressing having a great computer that essentially doesn't work properly, or that you're not seeing what it should be capable of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What makes this problem so illusive and difficult to get help with is because most people link these problems to peripherals or input lag (about monitor ms etc) or that's it's just in games, whereas this problem persists throughout so search results will only be about monitors and mice/keyboard or relating to windows.

Gah!!!!!!! Even thinking about it is making me frustrated, coming up to over a year now with this :'(

D

Deleted member 14196

have you tried a clean install of windows 10? just curious, as you've stated you replaced all the hardware. you know when replacing cpu and mobo you need a fresh install of the os, right?

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Same issue here, been trying to get to the bottom of it for nearly a year now and dealing with it for 2years. Is the PC that works properly at another location? Currently my theory is that an electrical problem in home causes damage to a certain part- not sure which part maybe the PSU and messes with the PCs grounding. Anyway hope you fixed it!

xShud

Prominent
Apr 29, 2019
I fixed it actually. @x7007 I spent $25 on a PC tweaker from twitter and we went through a 30 minute session and he tweaked every windows setting and added things to my pc to make it run smoother. I didn't expect this to fix my input lag, but it did. It must have been a couple of window settings or maybe something I downloaded that was causing this.

fatehasfans

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2016
I fixed it actually. @x7007 I spent $25 on a PC tweaker from twitter and we went through a 30 minute session and he tweaked every windows setting and added things to my pc to make it run smoother. I didn't expect this to fix my input lag, but it did. It must have been a couple of window settings or maybe something I downloaded that was causing this.
Do you have the person's twitter or a name so I could do the same? Thanks

x7007

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2015

do you remember what did he actually do? because then he didn't mess in the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.