[SOLVED] Input on possible new PC build

Apr 27, 2020
I built a computer ~4 years ago, and just plan on just selling it for whatever I can get and upgrading to an entirely new system from scratch. I was hoping if anyone has any input, as I have only built the one computer before, they would be willing to share it.

Here's the part list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nstokes/saved/#view=q7hxcf

I know the RAM is probably a bit overkill, however I do work as a software engineer and am considering getting into some light video editing for game play footage.

The PSU I know is overkill, but figure better safe than sorry for any upgrades in the future, not to mention most of the smaller PSU's are on backorder right now.

The 2070 super I plan to more or less be a stopgap until the next Nvidia series comes out hopefully before Christmas (3xxx series?), at which point I'll most likely upgrade to the 3080TI or whatever it ends up being.

The two monitors, I may go ahead and get or wait on for a bit, not entirely decided yet. However the ones in the list are $50 more than the ones im actually looking at on Amazon. Seems to be the same monitor, just cant find the TN version that I see on amazon on part picker. Some input would also be nice on if TN is truly better than IPS for gaming, as from what I could tell the response times on IPS are typically a bit higer.

As for the air cooler, not going to lie I just prefer the simplicity of air cooling, and not having to be paranoid about if a radiator hose springs a leak. Used the same cooler in my current build and haven't had any issues.

Again if anyone has any input on how to make any of these choices better, please let me know.

Thanks!

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Z3spJb

Ive made a few changes here. and those changes are what i think would be the best for you.

Take them with a grain of salt. you may agree with some and disagree with others. just let this give you some inspiration i guess :)

Firstly i changed the CPU out. simply because it has 12 cores compared to the 8 on the i9. and i assume with the work you do, the more cores the better.
Next up i changed the ram out, because in my eyes, 64gb is wayyyy too overkill.
I also changed the drive layout, you had a single 2tb ssd. i changed it to a 1tb ssd and a 4tb hdd.
next up is the gpu. i thought it was ridiculous you had a build costing 3k and only having a 2070 super in it. I changed that out with a 2080ti (another reason i changed the ram, to make some cash headroom for the better gpu.)
Finally i changed one of the monitors from a 240hz to a 60hz. quite simply because no one on earth needs 2 240hz monitors lol. you will only be needing 1 for gaming so just get a cheap one as a secondary.

Apr 27, 2020
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Z3spJb

Ive made a few changes here. and those changes are what i think would be the best for you.

Take them with a grain of salt. you may agree with some and disagree with others. just let this give you some inspiration i guess :)

Firstly i changed the CPU out. simply because it has 12 cores compared to the 8 on the i9. and i assume with the work you do, the more cores the better.
Next up i changed the ram out, because in my eyes, 64gb is wayyyy too overkill.
I also changed the drive layout, you had a single 2tb ssd. i changed it to a 1tb ssd and a 4tb hdd.
next up is the gpu. i thought it was ridiculous you had a build costing 3k and only having a 2070 super in it. I changed that out with a 2080ti (another reason i changed the ram, to make some cash headroom for the better gpu.)
Finally i changed one of the monitors from a 240hz to a 60hz. quite simply because no one on earth needs 2 240hz monitors lol. you will only be needing 1 for gaming so just get a cheap one as a secondary.

Part of me wants to stick with the i9-9900k as I know intel is still slightly better for gaming. While I do some work on my desktop, typically most of the heavy lifting is done on a build server. I will likely take your advice on dropping the memory to 32gb, as in hindsight 64 is probably too overkill. I just know currently I can approach maxing out my RAM between games and google with 16gb of memory (granted much slower memory than whats available now).

Changing to a 1tb ssd and 4tb hdd is a thought, though I often store stuff online or in an external hard drive, so not sure which route I'll take there.

A 2080 TI would definitely be nice, just still considering if its worth the inevitable loss that's likely to come within ~5 months when the 3xxx series releases and I upgrade to the new flagship version. Rumor mill (which is a dangerous thing) is hinting at a pretty good performance bump as well as likely cheaper prices than the current high end models.

Also good point with the two monitors, while I often times have two games open (one sitting waiting in a queue, waiting to see if I get raided, waiting for events, etc), in that case I doubt even with a 2080 ti I'd have high enough frames to justify a 240hz monitor (and can always just win-shift whichever game I'm actively using to the 240hz monitor anyways).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
eSports gaming on Intel:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($509.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMERSTORM CAPTAIN 360X WHITE 64.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($137.50 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($279.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Walmart)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer Predator XB2 24.5" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor ($449.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: Acer XF251Q bmiirx 24.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor ($219.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2777.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-27 17:44 EDT-0400

eSports gaming on Ryzen:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.14 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Walmart)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.00 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer Predator XB2 24.5" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor ($449.99 @ B&H)
Total: $2092.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-27 17:52 EDT-0400

Solution

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
Part of me wants to stick with the i9-9900k as I know intel is still slightly better for gaming. While I do some work on my desktop, typically most of the heavy lifting is done on a build server. I will likely take your advice on dropping the memory to 32gb, as in hindsight 64 is probably too overkill. I just know currently I can approach maxing out my RAM between games and google with 16gb of memory (granted much slower memory than whats available now).

Changing to a 1tb ssd and 4tb hdd is a thought, though I often store stuff online or in an external hard drive, so not sure which route I'll take there.

A 2080 TI would definitely be nice, just still considering if its worth the inevitable loss that's likely to come within ~5 months when the 3xxx series releases and I upgrade to the new flagship version. Rumor mill (which is a dangerous thing) is hinting at a pretty good performance bump as well as likely cheaper prices than the current high end models.

Also good point with the two monitors, while I often times have two games open (one sitting waiting in a queue, waiting to see if I get raided, waiting for events, etc), in that case I doubt even with a 2080 ti I'd have high enough frames to justify a 240hz monitor (and can always just win-shift whichever game I'm actively using to the 240hz monitor anyways).

I dont think its viable to spend so much on a gpu, only to plan on replacing it once 3000 series comes out hopefully in a few months. Id say either stick with the gpu you have now (if you have one) or just buy a 1060 or something, just to see you through till 3000 series and then splash the cash on a 3080ti super overclock fantastic or what ever nvidia decide to add to their already confusing naming schemes lmao