Insane Spikes only in-game (any online game)

Habyan Adzano

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
Hello, I've been visiting Toms Hardware for awhile now looking for an answer for my issue, before I start these are the mini-specs to my computer:

Laptop: Acer Aspire V3-571G
GPU: GeForce GT640M
CPU: Intel Core i7
Network Card: Atheros
ISP: Xfinity by Comcast

I played a lot of PC games, have pretty diverse yet basic knowledge of networking and computer.

The problem:
My internet connection skyrocketed every time I joined an online game server whether it be CS:GO, BF4, DOTA2 or any other online games.

the details:
The internet is fine and dandy when i'm not playing any games, it's outstanding actually, 25+ Mbps download, around 8-10 Mbps upload (I believe), tracert results are fine, Ping for router is fine (1-10ms), ping for 8.8.8.8 always under 30ms.

But, whenever I joined a server in-game the internet ping spikes up (30 to 300-800ms!), ping for my router skyrockets (300-900ms), ping to 8.8.8.8 (google.com) shoots up the roof (300-900ms).

If I close the game, everything's back to normal.

What's even weirder is whenever I have torrents running, and downloading something big, such as movies or whenever I'm downloading something off Origin or steam, the ping goes down to 50-150ms, it's spiking all over the place, but it's lowered by almost -500ms

What I've done so far:
- Refreshed my computer: not working
- Called the ISP and send techs to my house to check the cables and routers: helped, but not working
- Re-installed my network card's driver: not working
- Tried different games: Not Working

I come up with a conclusion that it might be something wrong with my hardwares, something conflicting with my network card workflow, either CPU, GPU or other hardware part.

Any opinion on this?

(Forgot to add, Only my computer that's having the problem, test on my brother's computer (have a lower spec than mine) and he's fine without any problem)

another update 12/26/2014:
-Tried to move my laptop closer to the Modem and it fixes the ping, but not the issue. (the distance between my laptop and my modem before is not that far, still have 5 bar of wifi signal

-Tested on a different house and different ISP, the internet is fine and no change in Ping even if I move my laptop outside of the house with 2-3 bar of signal

An increase in ping spikes, means its slowing down. Not "skyrocketing". This varies with the server you're going through and the traffic its carrying.

I think your PC is fine. I think your games server is more crowded (or has less capacity) than your torrent server.