[SOLVED] Insane "Total Host Writes/Reads" on a 9 month old SSD

Solution
so should i keep using this drive till it fails? or what should i do because all i do is use the pc for is gaming and netflicks i dont do anything else. I do streaming as well but i dont upload or do any file xfers or anything.

If you see the drive using any spare blocks, it's time to replace it. Although you will want to have some sort of regular backup system in place regardless. As is, it's not using spare blocks yet. At your current rate of burn you would probably hit that zone in 9-18 months.

If the drive is doing that many writes my guess is you're doing something unusual. For example, if you have ShadowPlay recording at maximum quality (50 Gbps) and play games a few hours a day, you can burn through TBW very rapidly...

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
Is that SSD with multiple partitions? Might want to see if using Crucial's utility shows you to have any firmware updates pending. You might also want to show us a screenshot of Disk Manager. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard as well.
no its just 1 particition 250gb ssd has my windows on it and like 1 game. I put all my main games and files on my other drives. What does bios update have to do with the ssd info ?

No spare blocks used yet, average block-erase count is 5E8 = 1512. That's extremely high for a drive that new. It's not failing yet but it certainly won't survive the warranty period given that pattern, unfortunately the TBW already exceeds warranty replacement. You can compare the SMART values of F7 and F8 to see this is not a write amplification issue (which some users have had with the MX500), you're just doing way too many writes.

I've written 30 TB in 3.5 years, just as a point of comparison...; 160+ TB of writes is indeed quite a bit...(5x my average use scenario)

Do you perhaps download/watch 4 or 5 each 4k at 60 fps videos per day, and/or perhaps edit large amounts of 4k video?

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
I've written 30 TB in 3.5 years, just as a point of comparison...; 160+ TB of writes is indeed quite a bit...(5x my average use scenario)

Do you perhaps download/watch 4 or 5 each 4k at 60 fps videos per day, and/or perhaps edit large amounts of 4k video?
no i dont do any of that. I just play games and watch mvoies on netflix i dont xfer any files or anything

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
No spare blocks used yet, average block-erase count is 5E8 = 1512. That's extremely high for a drive that new. It's not failing yet but it certainly won't survive the warranty period given that pattern, unfortunately the TBW already exceeds warranty replacement. You can compare the SMART values of F7 and F8 to see this is not a write amplification issue (which some users have had with the MX500), you're just doing way too many writes.
so should i keep using this drive till it fails? or what should i do because all i do is use the pc for is gaming and netflicks i dont do anything else. I do streaming as well but i dont upload or do any file xfers or anything.

USAFRet

Titan
so is my drive going bad how do i fix it if its maleware so it dont happen to my other drives ? I have malewarebytes and it says i have no issues
The cumulative TBW of the 7 drives in my current system, some of them going back to 2014, don't add up to 1/2 the use you post.

Its not a case of it going bad, rather...why is it doing that?

Besides games, what else do you do on this system?
What, specifically, is running right now?

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
The cumulative TBW of the 7 drives in my current system, some of them going back to 2014, don't add up to 1/2 the use you post.

[/QUOTE

maleware bytes is scanning right now thats why cpu is high i think. I dont do anything else on the system besides gaming, streaming my gameplay, and watching movies on netflicks. Thats literally all i use my pc for. https://gyazo.com/df40533c39761f2b965482f3c96f6732

Last edited:

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015

can you look at the info for my other drive i linked. I had thatone about a year as well. thats where i keep all my games. Is that drive host writes look normal or does that one seem to have issues as well ?

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015
I see nothing wrong with that second drive.
so what should i do with my other drive should i keep using it untill it stops working or should i install my new m.2 i purchased. The bad drive is my windows drive am i going to have to reformat all my drives ? or do i just remiove the windows drive and install windows on my new drive. Also how can i stop this from happening again

If you see the drive using any spare blocks, it's time to replace it. Although you will want to have some sort of regular backup system in place regardless. As is, it's not using spare blocks yet. At your current rate of burn you would probably hit that zone in 9-18 months.

If the drive is doing that many writes my guess is you're doing something unusual. For example, if you have ShadowPlay recording at maximum quality (50 Gbps) and play games a few hours a day, you can burn through TBW very rapidly. If the drive is of limited capacity (which it is) this might make the drive do more writes than necessary including writing twice (once to SLC, once to TLC). Things of that nature.

Solution