Inside the iPad 3: Tearing Apart Apple's Latest Creation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Lol I bet the battery also accounts for most of the weight of the unit. I remember taking apart an ultrabook for a client to get access to the battery. Take the battery out, and suddenly your lifting something that weighs almost as much as a sheet of paper. Cheap casing around it too. Durability takes the back seat over weight and portability. Its amusing though when a client get hold of an ultrabook who is NOT careful with their electronics, and thinks it can handle same amount of impact damage as a 17" standard laptop.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"Too bad Samsung doesn't know how to make a tablet despite being able to make the components that go into one."

A samsung tablet can navigate 30 % more websites than a propriatary drm infested iPad. Why? Samsung tablets support Java and Flash. A Samsung tablet offers the possibility of using an sd card something lacking in an iPad. The display in a Samsung tablet isn't as rich as that of an iPad, but given the size of the iPad screen that is hardly a useful feature.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]"Too bad Samsung doesn't know how to make a tablet despite being able to make the components that go into one."A samsung tablet can navigate 30 % more websites than a propriatary drm infested iPad. Why? Samsung tablets support Java and Flash. A Samsung tablet offers the possibility of using an sd card something lacking in an iPad. The display in a Samsung tablet isn't as rich as that of an iPad, but given the size of the iPad screen that is hardly a useful feature.[/citation]

You're points are valid, but overall, I don't miss Flash that much and I prefer the smoothness of the whole iOS experience/hardware/ecosystem despite that I really tried to leave it and be thankful. I may have a new iPad but I still have a Razr Maxx...and, like an iPhone it's both bad and good. ...but I'm starting to wish I had an iPhone instead. ...it's just a richer experience to me.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hey look, the resident troll del35 is back. And guess what - he makes the exact same comment he does in all his posts referring to Apple as "drm infested". I wonder if you're a bot, because you manage to get the words "drm infested" into every single post. That or your 12.

halcyon

Splendid
If my new iPads are 'DRM infested' (and I'm not saying that they are not) it doesn't seem to keep from doing what I desire. I really appreciate the new display. ...makes a huge difference to me.

The thing that is really notable to me is this:

Over a 5 week period I had 5 different Asus Transformer Primes (from Best Buy) and each of them had dead or stuck pixels. Some people would have just lived with a pixel defect but I kept exchanging the tablets trying to get one with an unflawed display. ...not me. That's on a 1280x800 display. I now have purchased 3 new iPads and none of them have any screen defects. ...so as the teens/tweens here write about how wonderful the Transformer Prime is and how all iOS devices are iCrap I actually have experience that defies that. I'm sure my new iPads are not perfect but I have yet to discover any quality-related flaws. I'm really unhappy with Asus about my experience with their flagship tablet (I've described my experience in several posts) but, in a way I'm glad it turned out this way because the new iPad is a respectable devices that works well.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]Swap iPad for Walkman or laptop PC's and mobile phones. Certainly you could replace a battery but should you break the unit it is either unserviceable or a returns job. Most people, let's say 99.9% do not have the requisite engineering skills to repair any of their domestic appliances. Most parts are not even available to consumers. Warranties can be invalidated by DIY repairs. Products fail. Products get broken accidentally. Most people in most instances would either have to call in a service engineer or return an item for repair. People on Tom's who constantly pick at Apple should have a careful think about all the manufacturers and sources for all the products they buy.[/citation]
Walkman- AA batteries, Laptop- battery comes out the bottom and can be ordered online as well as most cell phones (not iPhone), but I get your point. Many other electronic devices have batteries that are not standard and have to be cracked open to remove them like most mobile GPS devices. I like to bash Apple as much as the next guy, but I really don't care to on this one.

thehoj

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]Working on Apple portable devices is a nightmare.[/citation]

I don't think that is a fair statement.. I can see that the iPad is difficult to open up, but the iPhone 4/4s is very easy to open and replace parts in.

MiamiU

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Just because you make the raw ingredients that go into a product doesn't mean you know how to make a good product. Anyone can go to the grocery store and buy everything needed to create a 12 course dinner. Doesn't mean they can actually COOK that dinner.Samsung provides tools. The same way Fender makes guitars that people like Hendrix or Clapton then used to make great music. Samsung is Fender. Apple is Hendrix. Both are responsible for making the final product, but Hendrix (Apple) is responsible for MOST of the end result.Too bad Samsung doesn't know how to make a tablet despite being able to make the components that go into one. How about that just-announced (at MWC 2012) Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with the same internals as last year, a case that's almost 2mm thicker and....wait for it.....an SD card slot. One year later and that's all you can bring Sammy?[/citation]

That's a dumb analogy, the iPad is a tool too. So apple buys tools to make a tool(iPad), the iPad itself is not a piece of art, or classic music as much as some are lead to believe.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]MiamiU[/nom]That's a dumb analogy, the iPad is a tool too. So apple buys tools to make a tool(iPad), the iPad itself is not a piece of art, or classic music as much as some are lead to believe.[/citation]
Are you sure the iPad is not a piece of Art? I mean look at its curves and the way the light hits it and dances upon the surface /sarcasm

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
It's a bad analogy for another reason:
It does not address the irony in my OP, especially in regards to business relations between the two companies in the same industry. Fender and Hendrix are not even close. Samsung and Apple are locked in an litigation battle over numerous patent infringements in courts around the world, mostly surrounding the iPhone/SGS and iPad/Galaxy Tab. With samsung manufacturing the display of the latter, which is arguably the reason why people are buying/upgrading to the 3rd gen iPad, of THE main competitor of its devices seems, at first, to be self-defeating, but then in the business world, if you can't beat them (at least for right now), join them. By manufacturing the display and providing the basis for the manufacturing of the A5X (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/16/ipad_a5x_processor_built_on_samsungs_45nm_technology.html), Samsung benefits either way. Hence, +100 to sammy.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]comeout[/nom]I'm sure my new iPads are not perfect but I have yet to discover any quality-related flaws. I'm really unhappy with Asus about my experience with their flagship tablet (I've described my experience in several posts[/citation]
Whoa...I'd swear I'd posted those exact same words in the exact same order...talk about weird déjá vu.

Status
Not open for further replies.