Question Inspiron 15 7000 7567 RAM keeps unseating

Jan 21, 2019
I recently got a 16 gig stick of RAM for my Inspiron 15 7000 7567. Usually it works perfectly, but occasionally it seems to unseat (my friend has pulled RAM out of a running computer before and he said that this looks exactly like that) periodically. To see whether it's the stick, I have been running the new stick in the slot that was occupied by the single stick before. It hasn't had any issues since. Any advice on what I should try next? Thanks! :)
Here's a picture of what the RAM problem looks like.
View: https://imgur.com/D3PAzgO

compprob237

Distinguished
I recently got a 16 gig stick of RAM for my Inspiron 15 7000 7567. Usually it works perfectly, but occasionally it seems to unseat (my friend has pulled RAM out of a running computer before and he said that this looks exactly like that) periodically. To see whether it's the stick, I have been running the new stick in the slot that was occupied by the single stick before. It hasn't had any issues since. Any advice on what I should try next? Thanks! :)
Here's a picture of what the RAM problem looks like.
View: https://imgur.com/D3PAzgO
Are the tabs for holding the RAM in place clicking? Have you tried gently tugging on the stick to see if it pops out?

I suspect you have mismatched ram.
Since you are running ok with a single stick in the original slot, why not just keep running that way.
How much do you really need more than 16gb?

Disparate ram is always a potential problem.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they must be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%

Ram is quite secure when installed. I doube that it could ever come loose.

You can test ram with memtest86.

If you can run a couple of full passes with NO errors ram is likely not the issue.

compprob237

Distinguished
I suspect you have mismatched ram.
While this is a possibility it is not a huge problem like it used to be with DDR2 and earlier.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Yes, to simplify purchasing a compatible multi-channel kit.

A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html
"Rules to enable dual-channel mode
To achieve dual-channel mode, the following conditions must be met:
  • Same memory size. Examples: 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB.
  • Matched DIMM configuration in each channel.
  • Matched in symmetrical memory slots.
Configurations that do not match the above conditions revert to single-channel mode. The following conditions do not need to be met:
  • Same brand
  • Same timing specifications
  • Same speed (MHz)
The slowest DIMM module populated in the system decides memory channel speed."
Also, scroll down further and read up on Flex Mode.

Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Yep, some CPU's IMCs can also be sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.
False.
If you do buy more disparate sticks, they must be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%
Refer to Intel link/quote above.

If what you were saying was true then:
https://valid.x86.fr/bmcjvh
Shouldn't work at all.
Two different speeds, two different capacities, two different timings, three different densities, and three different models. Even better: Those 8GB sticks are from completely different kits. Two 8GB sticks are actually from a quad-channel kit and the other is from a dual channel kit but is being used here in triple channel.

Last edited:
Ram is sold in kits to insure that the advertised capacity and speeds will work.
This involves matching of the individual sticks to insure that they work properly.
That is one reason why a matched kit may cost a bit more than two individual sticks.

The link from intel also explains flex mode where two different capacity dims can work in dual channel mode for the matched capacity and in single channel mode for the remaining odd capacity:

Flex mode
This mode results in both dual and single-channel operation across the whole of DRAM memory. The figure shows a flex mode configuration using two DIMMs. The operation is as follows:

• The 2 GB DIMM in slot 1 and the lower 2 GB of the DIMM in slot 2 operate together in dual-channel mode.
  • The remaining (upper) 2 GB of the DIMM in slot 2 operates in single-channel mode.
Of course it is assumed that such a mismatched arrangement is able to work together properly.
In this regard, it seems that intel ram controllers are quite good and most arrangements can be made to work.

On the xeon example, all sticks are operating at 1337 speed.
Even the 1600 speed sticks
The memory tab on CPU-Z will tell you what timings are in use.

Such compatibility is really a tribute to the Intel ram controller engineers.

compprob237

Distinguished
Ram is sold in kits to insure that the advertised capacity and speeds will work.
This involves matching of the individual sticks to insure that they work properly.
That is one reason why a matched kit may cost a bit more than two individual sticks.

The link from intel also explains flex mode where two different capacity dims can work in dual channel mode for the matched capacity and in single channel mode for the remaining odd capacity:

Flex mode
This mode results in both dual and single-channel operation across the whole of DRAM memory. The figure shows a flex mode configuration using two DIMMs. The operation is as follows:

• The 2 GB DIMM in slot 1 and the lower 2 GB of the DIMM in slot 2 operate together in dual-channel mode.
  • The remaining (upper) 2 GB of the DIMM in slot 2 operates in single-channel mode.
Of course it is assumed that such a mismatched arrangement is able to work together properly.
In this regard, it seems that intel ram controllers are quite good and most arrangements can be made to work.

On the xeon example, all sticks are operating at 1337 speed.
Even the 1600 speed sticks
The memory tab on CPU-Z will tell you what timings are in use.

Such compatibility is really a tribute to the Intel ram controller engineers.
Also, scroll down further and read up on Flex Mode.
:whistle:

Also, the DDR3-1333 stick is running at DDR3-1600 with 9-9-9-17-1T using 1.58v.
https://valid.x86.fr/4amvhg
Ha, I just noticed that it shows I'm running the Spectre/Meltdown microcode (0x1F). Took some work to figure out how to do that.

Last edited:

compprob237

Distinguished
Curious.
Is that what the cpu-z memory tab shows?
I do not see in the link where the ram voltage is 1.58v.
That would make some sense if the 1333 speed ram were good enough to be overclocked to 1600 speed.
That DDR3-1333 stick is not a very good overclocking stick. Most people report that >1.6v the chips degrade and I can't get the timings any lower than what they're at now. I linked you to my recent 4.8GHz suicide run which I now have that CPU running at 4.0GHz to keep the VCore within a range I'm comfortable with. I think the only way to show you the RAM's voltage would be to take a picture of it in BIOS. I'm not aware of the Winbond W83667HG having a sensor to monitor the RAM voltage. The OnSemi ASP0800 only reports VR OUT, VMON, VTT, Current (IOUT), and Power (POUT).
M7iHm2C.jpg

Sr8Km3O.jpg

JHnv3g5.png

Jan 21, 2019
The ram sticks aren't the same size. The original is 8 gb DDR4 2400 and the new one is 16 gb DDR4 2400. I think they may be trying to dual channel. I will check to see if I can use flex mode with my laptop and if I can't I will just try it with dual channel dissabled.

compprob237

Distinguished
The ram sticks aren't the same size. The original is 8 gb DDR4 2400 and the new one is 16 gb DDR4 2400. I think they may be trying to dual channel. I will check to see if I can use flex mode with my laptop and if I can't I will just try it with dual channel disabled.
That Intel laptop will enable Flex which essentially gives you hybrid dual and single channel. Did you try the suggestions I made in my first post before me and @geofelt went a bit off topic?

Jan 21, 2019
The RAM seems reasonable secure. I looked in the bios and it says that the RAM is dual channeled despite having different capacities, so I think it may be in flex mode. CPU-Z also says that my RAM is in dual channel. The new stick seems fine. I have been using it on it's own for a couple weeks now and I haven't had any issues. What should I try now?

compprob237

Distinguished
The RAM seems reasonable secure. I looked in the bios and it says that the RAM is dual channeled despite having different capacities, so I think it may be in flex mode. CPU-Z also says that my RAM is in dual channel. The new stick seems fine. I have been using it on it's own for a couple weeks now and I haven't had any issues. What should I try now?
That's correct. It's running in Flex mode and the motherboard and CPU-Z just report the highest multi-channel that is enabled.

Are you still having the RAM unseating problem?

Jan 21, 2019
Darn! It just happened again! I'm going to try running the 16 gb stick in the second slot to test to see whether it's the combination of the RAM sticks or just the 2nd slot.

Edit: It happened again, but this time, my laptop froze and then the screen showed lines instead of boxes. I will see if I can post a video.

Last edited: