Inspiron 6000 reads SD MMC cards but not "plain" MMC cards

Paul

Splendid

Just got my new Inspiron 6000 (great machine, BTW, a great upgrade over my
elderly I8200 with the jet fan engine) One little quirk, it will read an
SD MMC card, but not a non-SD MMC card. The card is not recognized by XP
Pro when inserted.

-- Paul

Paul wrote:

> Just got my new Inspiron 6000 (great machine, BTW, a great upgrade over my
> elderly I8200 with the jet fan engine) One little quirk, it will read an
> SD MMC card, but not a non-SD MMC card. The card is not recognized by XP
> Pro when inserted.

Is it possible that you have a bad card?

Notan

Paul

Splendid

>> Just got my new Inspiron 6000 (great machine, BTW, a great upgrade over
>> my
>> elderly I8200 with the jet fan engine) One little quirk, it will read
>> an
>> SD MMC card, but not a non-SD MMC card. The card is not recognized by
>> XP
>> Pro when inserted.
>
> Is it possible that you have a bad card?
>
> Notan

The MMC card is good (tried 2 or 3 of them). The non-SD MMC cards work fine
in a USB attached SanDisk 8-in-1 reader attached to the I6000.

-- Paul

"Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Just got my new Inspiron 6000 (great machine, BTW, a great upgrade over my
> elderly I8200 with the jet fan engine) One little quirk, it will read an
> SD MMC card, but not a non-SD MMC card. The card is not recognized by XP
> Pro when inserted.
>
> -- Paul

The slot is listed as:

" Flash Memory Slot - Secure Digital (SD) and SD/IO compliant "

I doubt if Dell has bothered to make it MMC compliant, as MMC is effectively
'dead'.

Tom

begin 666 bullet.gif
M1TE&.#EA" `'`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````(``<`0 ((A(^I&['/
$'"@`.P``
`
end

Paul

Splendid

> "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Just got my new Inspiron 6000 (great machine, BTW, a great upgrade over
>> my
>> elderly I8200 with the jet fan engine) One little quirk, it will read
>> an
>> SD MMC card, but not a non-SD MMC card. The card is not recognized by
>> XP
>> Pro when inserted.
>>
>> -- Paul
>>
> The slot is listed as:
>
> " Flash Memory Slot - Secure Digital (SD) and SD/IO compliant "
>
> I doubt if Dell has bothered to make it MMC compliant, as MMC is
> effectively 'dead'.
>
> Tom

Ya, I just found out the answer in the Dell Community Forums. Like you
said, they don't support MMC. I didn't know there was a significant
difference since they use the same form factor.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1092716&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Oh well, these old MMC cards are almost worthless, purchasing new SD cards
for what I need is not a big deal...

-- Paul

> "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Just got my new Inspiron 6000 (great machine, BTW, a great upgrade over
>> my
>> elderly I8200 with the jet fan engine) One little quirk, it will read
>> an
>> SD MMC card, but not a non-SD MMC card. The card is not recognized by
>> XP
>> Pro when inserted.
>>
>> -- Paul
>>
> The slot is listed as:
>
> " Flash Memory Slot - Secure Digital (SD) and SD/IO compliant "
>
> I doubt if Dell has bothered to make it MMC compliant, as MMC is
> effectively 'dead'.
>
> Tom

Touche' !!

Stew