Inspiron 8100 Dual Display operation

I've had my 8100 nigh until 3 years now, it is well worn and beloved,
but lately, I've tried to set up dual output mode. I need the
real-estate badly. The main panel is 1600x1200. I need one simple
question answered - is it possible to run the second output at some
other resolution, say 1280x1024?

The answer drives all of my shopping needs :).

Thanks,

chg (currently lusting over the 9100 or that other scream game
machine)

cgilley@bravesw.com (Charles Gilley) wrote in message news:<de3cdf0.0404041247.6856b96d@posting.google.com>...
> I've had my 8100 nigh until 3 years now, it is well worn and beloved,
> but lately, I've tried to set up dual output mode. I need the
> real-estate badly. The main panel is 1600x1200. I need one simple
> question answered - is it possible to run the second output at some
> other resolution, say 1280x1024?
>
> The answer drives all of my shopping needs :).
>
> Thanks,
>
> chg (currently lusting over the 9100 or that other scream game
> machine)

I'll answer my own question, since I tracked down a co-worker with a
similar setup.... the dual mode works fine with mixed resolutions,
though he did indicate that the laptop/external display combination
works better if they are close/same in resolution.

The trick for things to work correctly is to actually have another
monitor connected. Otherwise, you never see the extra display setup.

chg