[SOLVED] Install Driver For GTX1660

goozblahblah

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
I have a GTX1660 GPU that I am trying to install the driver on Win10 Pro. When I try to install the driver, I get the below error...is win10 pro compatible with this GPU?

https://ibb.co/TPsYcjS

(sorry couldn't figure out how to add an image here)

Solution
as others have noted, it is not really needed to stay totally up to date on the drivers unless it has something you need such as a specific game fix/optimization. what windows installs here and there is usually good enough.

otherwise looking every few months is good enough. i can't even tell you the last time i updated my drivers. probably been at least 8 months :)

goozblahblah

Prominent
Jun 22, 2021
run ddu from safe mode, then reboot and try the installer again

here is the ddu download page with instructions

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

In doing this Device Manager now recognizes it as the GTX1660, but it's outdated drivers. For example Device Manager shows:
Driver Date: 09/30/2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5671

but if I try to update using the GEForce Experience App (it shows an update that was released on 06/21/2021) I get this error:

Reactions: goozblahblah
In doing this Device Manager now recognizes it as the GTX1660, but it's outdated drivers. For example Device Manager shows:
Driver Date: 09/30/2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5671

but if I try to update using the GEForce Experience App (it shows an update that was released on 06/21/2021) I get this error:

As was said....try downloading the driver directly.
I have had problems (like yours) with GeForce Experience and I stopped using it.

That got it. I got rid of the GeForce Experience as well :)

Now i'm scratching my head wondering how am I going to know when there are driver updates, haha
You don't :) For one part, Windows 10 does quite good job of updating your drivers on its own (although not always, sometimes it screws it big way). For the other part, there is very little need to update graphical drivers now - I only do that if any game refuses to work correctly, otherwise I let them be. It's not like your few years old model will get +10% speed bonus in some games because of new driver.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
as others have noted, it is not really needed to stay totally up to date on the drivers unless it has something you need such as a specific game fix/optimization. what windows installs here and there is usually good enough.

otherwise looking every few months is good enough. i can't even tell you the last time i updated my drivers. probably been at least 8 months :)

Solution