Question Install M.2 SSD on ROG Maximus XI Extreme with cooling plate in the way

Mar 27, 2019
I wanted to install a Samsung 970 EVO SSD on one of the M.2 slots on my ROG Maximus XI Extreme mainboard, but there is a cooling plate blocking the slots. So, obviously, I tried to remove the three screws that hold down the plate in order to gain access to the M.2 slots. Two of the three screws came off like a glove, but the third one seems to be stuck. I tried to loosen it for a long time, but unfortunately, I was being over-motivated and now the screws’ head has worn off. I tried some tricks to loose the screw, that I found on the internet, but none worked out. Soooo, long story short: is there a way to install the SSD without having to remove the cooling plate? Any help would be highly appreciated!

Mar 27, 2019
I doubt you're going to want to, if you don't remove the strip on the thermal pad on the back of the chipset heatspreader, you'll probably overheat your SSD: https://proclockers.com/sites/default/files/ASUS_Maximus_XI_Extreme_60.jpeg
I doubt you're going to want to, if you don't remove the strip on the thermal pad on the back of the chipset heatspreader, you'll probably overheat your SSD: https://proclockers.com/sites/default/files/ASUS_Maximus_XI_Extreme_60.jpeg
Well, looks like I'm screwed (pun intended)... Guess I'm gonna have to find another way to loosen the screw, after all. Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated!

Mar 27, 2019
2 ways I can think of to remove it.
Put a rubber band into the hole and then use your screw driver to get it out
If that doesn't work
Get hold of a Dremmel and cut the head off
I already tried the first method, but it didn't work as intended... I don't know how removing the head of the screw could help removing it? Or maybe I don't fully understand your suggestion^^ I know that you could drill a little hole in the screw and then try to remove it with an inverted bit on an electric drill, but I'm not sure if there are any suitable tools available for screws that small. The last method I tried was gluing the screwdriver onto the screw, but that didn't work either ¯\(ツ)/¯ Now, I might try to remove it by using a pair of pliers, but as the screws are extremely tiny, I highly doubt this method to be successful...
ASUS_Maximus_XI_Extreme_48.jpeg

As you can see, the screws that hold the thermal plate (bottom right corner) in place are minuscule and the one that got stuck is the one in the top left corner.