Install windows 7 on SSD

oldcopierguy

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I am an 'ol codger but sorta familiar with the goings on of my computer with Windows 7. I just bought a Crucial M4 SSD, to install and get more speed outa my multi tasking with lots of files/programs open, and to maybe speed up my MW3 game loads.

I need step by step help on how to install Windows 7 on the new SSD, what cables I need and what I need to turn on/off in the BIOS, and what to do get all my files to work properly from the old HDD.

Hope someone can help....?

oldcopierguy

Solution

What you have is correct. I changed #6 to ACHI from ACHI thingie lol. I also added one more step and rearranged...

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
You will need an SATA data cable, which hopefully came with your motherboard and
hopefully your power supply has SATA power cables. Some SSDs do not come with an adapter to secure it in one of the 3.5 " hard drive bays. I'm not sure if yours came with the adapter.

Once the SSD is installed, you should disconnect the current HD and then should be able to be able to install the Windows 7 on the new SSD.

Can you tell us the model of your computer.

You'll need a SATA data cable (and a SATA connector on the motherboard, preferably third gen SATA that supports up to 600MB/s, aka 6Gb/s with 8/10 encoding) and your PSU needs a SATA power cable.

As for the BIOS, make sure that you have AHCI enabled for all of your SATA ports before you install Windows. If you simply leave the old drive plugged in, but install Windows to the SSD, you can move the old data over after you've installed Windows on the SSD.

oldcopierguy

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
THANKS to all the replies...! This is new ground for me so all the help is MUCH appreciated.

I have an intel i5 2.67/2.73 CPU, asus P7P55D MoBo, 8gb GSkill ram, 5770 gpu. all enclosed in a Antec 900 case with 650w ps, all running in Windows 7 home premium. I use a G9 gaming mouse with a soft touch logitech keyboard, veiwing on Samsung 21.5 inch monitor and 5.1 surround.

The original HDD is a Seagate 500Gb and yes, there was a SATA cable in the MoBo box. Just have to peek inside to see where the power cable is...!

oldcopierguy

oldcopierguy

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hey chaps, more questions...!

I'm sitting here in front of the puter, with the 900 to my left at same level as the screen. Do I...

1. power down
2. unplug the old HDD
3. plug in the new SSD, and attach power cable
4. power up with Windows 7 CD in DVD drive
5. proceed to install Windows 7 on SSD
6. get into BIOS and change the ACHP?? thingie
7. power down again once Windows 7 is installed
8. power up and go get my files from old HDD
9. install all drivers on new SSD, ie printer, mouse, monitor, etc....

Did I miss anything or am I mixing the order up...?

Cheers, oldcopierguy

fantastik250

Distinguished

What you have is correct. I changed #6 to ACHI from ACHI thingie lol. I also added one more step and rearranged.

The ACHI setting in BIOS, usually found where the SATA controllers are. For example in my BIOS in my motherboard, it is in the menu Integrated peripherals. Make sure your HDD is SATA as well. Is your HDD using a big IDE ribbon cable (pretty big and wide) or the SATA cable (small and thin).

Solution

oldcopierguy

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

Hey THANKS for the update!! to my list...!! Great thing about the Antec 900 is the HUGE window in the side, and yes, there is a smaller cable coming from the HDD

oldcopierguy

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

Hey fantastik, I just noticed you have the same SSD that I am trying to install...!!! What a coincedent...my lucky day I guess.

They were on sale today at Memory Express here in Winnipeg, so I got it along with the extra 4Gb of memory for $39...!

The SSD was $119, so I figur I did ok.

oldcopierguy