Install Windows 7 x64 on Samsung SM951 m.2 drive!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandros76

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
I have the m/b ASUS X99-PRO/USB3.1 and the m.2 drive Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe.
I spent 3 days trying and trying, reading forums, many people seem to have problem with m.2 drives.
The m.2 drive does not appear in Windows 7 x64 installation. I do everything right as described in tutorials and forums.

I used rufus and created an uefi usb stick fat32, gpt, bootx64.efi, etc. Windows 7 installation starts but no drive appears. I have no other drives connected untill I install windows.

I tried the same with a windows 10 uefi boot and worked... no problems at all, I was able to see the drive and create the required partitions.
Windows 7 seem to need something extra to see the drive....
any help please?

rojer64

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
My sm951 nvme required a clean w10 install with gpt/efi to pass on a z97 mobo. I restored the old install (needs fixing the efi partition), updated the nvme driver to the Samsung provided one and was on my way.

Except I just found that the drive had the optimize option set to "not available". No TRIM is quite the bummer!

Upgrading the driver to 1.4.7.17 as found here (nice resource to bookmark):
http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html
Solved the issue.
Now the defrag command line tool will work without error and the GUI lists the optimize option.
Thought I'd share.

ImAnAutobot

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

Followed your instructions but I am stuck in a loop, where the installer loads, I am able to see the NVMe Samsung drive, but the computer restarts after step 2 of the install (preparing files for install) Any advice?

pesvi2

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016
It is very simple to do it.

My hardware was:
ASUS Z97A Gaming 6
Samsung M.2 NVMe SM951 installed in the onboard M.2 slot
no other drives connected.

1) download drivers for Samsung M.2 NVMe SM951 drive
http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html

2) copy them to flash drive

3) if your system boots from dvd, just boot Windows 7 installation disk

4) your W7 will not see the drive, just click find drives in your USB flash disk (connected into USB2 port) and find the drives (W7,32/64bit)

5) the M.2 drive is then detected, continue as you wish

:)

AJBOJACK

Honorable
Aug 9, 2016
I have just built my first pc. I am using the ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming mobo. I am using a SATA drive and the Samsung M.2 951 PCIe drive. For some reason my motherboard doesn't detect the M.2 drive, also when using my W7 USB after the language part it asks for drivers.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get this M.2 drive picked up in the BIOS? I will try your method above where you have added the patch file to the win 7 iso and used win 10.

I will let you know how I get on.

justgjt

Commendable
May 1, 2016

This is my initial problem... I am not able see the USB Flash Drive to select the driver. It only shows what is on the Win 7 disc in the Optical Drive. How did you get to see the USB flash disk during the Win 7 installation .. ?

AJBOJACK

Honorable
Aug 9, 2016

I had the exact same problem, all i could ever see was boot(x) and not other drive. Even when connected to the USB2 ports which made no sense to me.

Any ideas?

esteinberg

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016

ok we tried everything would you please use this link and disseminate it to all M2.SSD pcie drive users
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=wk_149537_1
this will load on a WDS and install on the boot.wim and be picked up by the system required if you add it a driver package.

Status
Not open for further replies.