Install wing32.dll on Vista Home Premuim 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowt999

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Hello All,

I need to run some older games for my kids on my new machine, and I am having trouble getting wing32.dll to be recognized in Vista. ANyone out there know hoe I can get Vista to recognize it? I tried regsvr32, but that returns an error "component not found", and fails.

Any help would be appreciated...

Dean

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
How old are we talking here?
wing32.dll has long been replaced by Direct X so we must be talking 10 years old or so yes?

It may be possible for you to run the application in Compatibility mode for Windows 9x depends on the game really. They werent designed back in the day to run in Vista :D

What games are you having trouble with?

crowt999

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
They are some old Sesame Street games that they like, Letter, Numbers, Elmo's Preschool. Stuff like that. They are easily 10 years old, and I can run them on a virtual XP machine if need be, but the resolution changes are not handled that well from the VM, since they should be run in 640x480 & 256 colors.

I've tried all compatibility modes, but these games were written before directX & use WinG, which was Microsoft's High Performance Graphics Library. If I can somehow get the DLL registered, the games might work in compatibility mode.
Thanks for the reply!

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Ok this is slightly beyond me but i found an interesting link:
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/windows/trbl_xp_regsvr_fld_module_not_found.htm

I know this is for a .com instead but it appears that your wing32.dll requires another file to allow it to be installed. It gives a method to find out what is missing.

Its going to be one, or many of these:
cmd.exe, ntvdm.exe, wing32.dll, wjview.exe, dxtmsft.dll, d3d8.dll, d3d8thk.dll, d3d9.dll, d3dim700.dll, d3dxof.dll, ddraw.dll, ddrawex.dll, devenum.dll, dinput.dll, dinput8.dll, dplay.dll, dplayx.dll, dsound.dll, glu32.dll, ksuser.dll, opengl32.dll, quartz.dll.

These are all "related" files. Dont know how some are related yet :D

Sorry i cant be of further help, but I'm interested to know the soluton if you can post up should you find a way.

If the games are native DOS games, you could always use DosBox in order to emulate a DOS environment...

The problem is, those are probably 16-bit apps, and Vista does not support 16-bit applications anymore. Your best bet would be a virtual machine with an older OS (I recommend 98SE, or even ME)

dani adham

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

i have a cd i downloaded it then i launched and it said error wing32.dll not found:encyclopedia space and the universe

Status
Not open for further replies.