Installation problem

I have win98 SE and am trying to install w2k. I got a new motherboard and
CPU about a year ago -- AMD Athlon 1800 with 256 meg of ram. I put in the
CD and go to upgrade and after a few OKs and entering the serial number, it
goes to check the system. After quite a while it said I don't have enough
memory. I think that's bogus. I copied it onto the HDD (Drive D:), and
tried the setup from there. When it was checking the system, it ran thru
many things and just after it was checking DirectX9, it froze.
Any clues as to what I can do to get upgraded? (The last resort is to do a
complete install which I guess will include a format which I want to avoid).
Thank you for any advice,
Paul

Save yourself some time and trouble, given that you'll more than likely end
up with an unstable OS with all the remnants/ corruption left behind from
the upgrade. Best to blow it all away and go for the clean install.

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom; change
to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
proceed.

Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Sri Swami" wrote:
|I have win98 SE and am trying to install w2k. I got a new motherboard and
| CPU about a year ago -- AMD Athlon 1800 with 256 meg of ram. I put in
the
| CD and go to upgrade and after a few OKs and entering the serial number,
it
| goes to check the system. After quite a while it said I don't have enough
| memory. I think that's bogus. I copied it onto the HDD (Drive D:), and
| tried the setup from there. When it was checking the system, it ran thru
| many things and just after it was checking DirectX9, it froze.
| Any clues as to what I can do to get upgraded? (The last resort is to do
| complete install which I guess will include a format which I want to
avoid).
| Thank you for any advice,
| Paul

| http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
| -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Dave,
Thank you. I think the only thing I can't do without is all my outlook
Express email stuff -- addresses, and emails I have put in folders, etc.
What is the best way to save that stuff?
Thank again.
Paul

"Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> Save yourself some time and trouble, given that you'll more than likely
end
> up with an unstable OS with all the remnants/ corruption left behind from
> the upgrade. Best to blow it all away and go for the clean install.
>
> To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
> The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom;
change
> to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from
dos)
> or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.
>
> When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
partitions
> found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again
> restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to avoid unexpected drive
> letter assignments with your new install.
>
> During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the
previous
> operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
> qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
> proceed.
>
> Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios
and
> or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Sri Swami" wrote:
> |I have win98 SE and am trying to install w2k. I got a new motherboard
and
> | CPU about a year ago -- AMD Athlon 1800 with 256 meg of ram. I put in
> the
> | CD and go to upgrade and after a few OKs and entering the serial number,
> it
> | goes to check the system. After quite a while it said I don't have
enough
> | memory. I think that's bogus. I copied it onto the HDD (Drive D:), and
> | tried the setup from there. When it was checking the system, it ran
thru
> | many things and just after it was checking DirectX9, it froze.
> | Any clues as to what I can do to get upgraded? (The last resort is to
do
> | complete install which I guess will include a format which I want to
> avoid).
> | Thank you for any advice,
> | Paul

> | http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> | -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

I was trying to export the messages and I got an error. I was able to
export the address book (but where does it put the exported addresses?).
For the messages it says an error occurred while initializing MAPI.

Ask them in one of the OE groups.

--

"Sri Swami" wrote:
|I was trying to export the messages and I got an error. I was able to
| export the address book (but where does it put the exported addresses?).
| For the messages it says an error occurred while initializing MAPI.

dl

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

"Sri Swami" <sriswami@ashram.org> wrote in message
> [...]
> and
> > | CPU about a year ago -- AMD Athlon 1800 with 256 meg of ram. I put
in
> > the
> > | CD and go to upgrade and after a few OKs and entering the serial
number,
> > it
> > | goes to check the system. After quite a while it said I don't have
> enough
> > | memory. I think that's bogus. I copied it onto the HDD (Drive D:),
and
> > | tried the setup from there. When it was checking the system, it ran
> thru
> > | many things and just after it was checking DirectX9, it froze.
> > | Any clues as to what I can do to get upgraded? (The last resort is to
> do
> > | complete install which I guess will include a format which I want to

Thank you.