installed 2nd cd drive won't show up

I currently have a basic cd drive installed, I installed a 2nd dvd rw drive
as the slave, when I go under device manager it is showing my original drive
but is not seeing my dvd drive

Malke

sfrieze wrote:

> I currently have a basic cd drive installed, I installed a 2nd dvd rw
> drive as the slave, when I go under device manager it is showing my
> original drive but is not seeing my dvd drive

Is the second drive showing up in the BIOS? If not, check:

1. That the controller on which the second drive is located is enabled.
2. That you jumpered the drive correctly.
3. Reseat the ribbon cable and power supply connector.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Where do I check it in Bios?

"Malke" wrote:

> sfrieze wrote:
>
> > I currently have a basic cd drive installed, I installed a 2nd dvd rw
> > drive as the slave, when I go under device manager it is showing my
> > original drive but is not seeing my dvd drive
>
> Is the second drive showing up in the BIOS? If not, check:
>
> 1. That the controller on which the second drive is located is enabled.
> 2. That you jumpered the drive correctly.
> 3. Reseat the ribbon cable and power supply connector.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

sfrieze wrote:

> Where do I check it in Bios?
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> sfrieze wrote:
>>
>> > I currently have a basic cd drive installed, I installed a 2nd dvd
>> > rw drive as the slave, when I go under device manager it is showing
>> > my original drive but is not seeing my dvd drive
>>
>> Is the second drive showing up in the BIOS? If not, check:
>>
>> 1. That the controller on which the second drive is located is
>> enabled. 2. That you jumpered the drive correctly.
>> 3. Reseat the ribbon cable and power supply connector.

How you get into the BIOS differs for each motherboard. When you first
start the computer, at the bottom of the screen will be a prompt that
says "Press SomeKey to Enter Setup". It could be DEL, F2, F12, or a
combination of keys. Refer to your computer manual if you don't see the
prompt.

Once you have pressed the necessary key(s), you should see where the
drives show up. I would also suggest opening the computer (with it
turned off and unplugged!) and checking once more to make sure you
jumpered the new drive correctly and attached the ribbon cable and
power supply connector properly.

Malke
--

sfrieze wrote:

>Where do I check it in Bios?

During boot-up, hit DEL and step through the menus showing hardware
configuration.