Question installed 2nd m.2 and cloned drive now trying to format first m.2 but says it is in use - no page file enabled?

TRE IzDOPE

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
So, I have a 250GB 960 EVO and I just installed a 1TB WD black SN750 SE that came with Battlefield 2042
I used acrontis true image and cloned the disk, I then went to BIOS and put the new M.2 as the only bootable device. My 960 EVO used to be C:/ and the WD was Z:/
NOW, it has made the new M.2 as the C:/ and my 960 EVO as G:/ I went to disk management and tried to quick format the G:/ drive but it says that it's in use and asked if I wanted to continue. I read that someone was having this issue and it was because the old M.2 had a page file. So I just went and looked and the new m.2 system is controlling the page file, and the 960 EVO has NO page file.
I'm not sure what to do? I would like to format the old m.2 if I no longer need those files, they are all cloned onto the NEW m.2
my motherboard is Asus Tuf Gaming x570 Plus Wifi which has two M.2 slots. Currently the 960 EVO is in the CPU driven lane, and the SN750 is in the bottom lane that is controlled by the chipset. All of my programs when I click on properties are in the C:/ drive that is the new drive that has over 700GB of space remaining, the G:/ only has like 80GB left, so the G drive is 100% the 960 evo. I'm just wondering why it's saying that it is still in use? I'm afraid if I over ride it and format it, while it's saying that, something is going to happen and I won't be able to boot into windows. I also tried to use DRIVE ERASE with Acrontis true image, and also just right clicking G:/ from file explorer and formatting that way as well, each time I was told that G:/ was in use

what could be causing this? What should I DO?

TRE IzDOPE

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
It's probably still booting off of the Samsung drive. I think changing the boot order (also called Boot Priority in ASUS BIOS) should fix your problem. After it boots from your WD drive, you should be able to format the Samsung drive.
I did that, I put the new drive as the only bootable option, I put option 1 as WD sn750, and option 2 as disabled

I take it you used a bootable version of Acronis? You didn't start Acronis from Windows, right?

One way to probably fix it, is by taking out the WD drive, only leaving the Samsung drive in. Then start a Windows installer from a USB thumb drive. You should be able to delete your partitions there. If it doesn't allow you to in there, I'm not sure what it could be.

TRE IzDOPE

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
I take it you used a bootable version of Acronis? You didn't start Acronis from Windows, right?

One way to probably fix it, is by taking out the WD drive, only leaving the Samsung drive in. Then start a Windows installer from a USB thumb drive. You should be able to delete your partitions there. If it doesn't allow you to in there, I'm not sure what it could be.
no, I downloaded acrontis true imager from the western digital support website. I ran the program, chose the 960 as the main drive, the new m.2 as destination, it cloned, I went into bios and put the new drive is option number 1, option #2 I disabled.. saved, restarted.. all of my files show they are running from C:/ which is the new m.2.

TRE IzDOPE

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
everything in my task manager if I go to properties shows that it's running from C:/ as well, which is the new M.2 I guess later I will remove the 960 evo and see if it boots up.. I guess if it does, I then what? put the 960 back in and force it to format?