Installed completely new components, need help

Captain_Splat

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
Hi, I just bought a new system, have configured the BIOS, and now when I try to start up I get BOOT DISK FAILURE: INSERT SYSTEM DISK. please help. my hard drive and motherboard never came with a floppy disk for booting. I'm really stuck.

manish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did your new system come with an OS preinstalled on hard disk? If yes, ask your vendor about the trouble.
If no, get a bootable floppy from anywhere (any friend of yours having Win98/ME). Then format your hard disk using the command FORMAT C: /S, which will at least make your hard disk able to boot (in case ur floppy even goes bad). Now boot from the floppy (because CD-ROM drivers are installed from here), and get your OS installation CD and install it.

Manish
http://manishmalik.cjb.net - just another 1-page site.

G

Another way is to set your bios settings to boot from CD ROM. Put your Windoze 98 SE cdrom inside your CDrom drive and turn on the power. You will see a screen asking if you want to boot from hard disk or CDROM. Pick the CDROM option.

Then, you can fdisk the hard drive to create a partition. You may wish to create partitions of 10GB or less in size as the cluster (sector) size will be minimized.

After the fdisk is done, you may go ahead with the formatting.

Reboot with the CDROM and install your WIN(*!