Installed new cooler, very loud

ajitesh

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
I've just installed my new Noctua NH-C14 and noticed that its running very loud. I checked it using HW Monitor and saw the fans are running at a constant 1170rpm at both 0% load and 100% load. The fans are not PWM which I guess could be the reason but I've heard that fan control is also possible on 3 pin fans. I looked in the bios but didn't find any useful fan adjustment settings. All it could to do was adjust the max and min threshold (min by default set to 250rpm but still running at 1170rpm). I have an Intel DZ75ML-45K motherboard. If someone cold tell me the steps to adjust it that'd be great. I prefer to set a custom fan curve if possible
Thanks in advance :)

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
the CPU cooler fans should be connected to a CPU_FAN connector in the MoBo... they really should have speed control either through PWM (4 pin fans) or Voltage (3 or 4 pin fans). Are you sure they are 3 pin?.. I find that very odd, I would be surprised ic noctua sold a CPU cooler with only 3 pin fans :/

ajitesh

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014

yes they are connected to the cpu fan header and you can check the noctua product page website if you dont believe me that they are 3 pin.

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Ok.. I believe you, I was just surprised. Well, it all comes down to the BIOS... search everywhere for an option to control fan speed through voltage. If there isn't, I am afraid you can only run them at full speed.

An alternative might be buying a fan controller to connect the cooler fans to. This setup is not very recommended, but maybe instead of 100%, you could set the fan to 80%, enough to lower the noise level and still have good temps. But then you risk that one day someone may put the knob way down to 30% and you didn't notice and your CPU overheated during gaming leading to your computer turning off. :(

this is all I can think about. Sorry I can't be of more help.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
there always be at max speed since fan are 3 speed and not 4 pins one pwm they have noise reducer but temp on cpu will be higher or get a 4 pins pwm with the adadtor so the board could control then ,does you temp are good on the cpu .