Installed new CPU, Windows XP crashed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I do that on a regular basis. I have an image of Windows XP that was built using a P4 2.4. Whenever I use that image on a newer PC, the HAL needs to be upgraded. An easy way to perform the test is to setup a VM with one CPU and upgrade to 2 CPUs once the installation is complete. You'll see that it changes from ACPI Uniprocessor PC to ACPI Multiprocessor PC. Don't do it on a production VM if you plan on going back to one CPU because the multiprocessor HAL has additional overhead that will cause minor performance degradation when using only one CPU.

hobbenbobber

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I'm in the process of the repair install, and it has now given me this message:
"The software you are installing for this hardware:
PS/2 Keyboard
has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its conpatibility with Windows XP.
Continuing your installation".... blah blah blah

It gives me the option of yes or no (to continue installing), but of course this is for the USB wireless keyboard and mouse combo I am using so they are now disabled. I have tried plugging generic PS/2 Keyboards and Mich into their respective slots with no success. What the heck do I do now?!?!

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009

I give credit where credit is due and you're pretty good with this CPU stuff, I'll admit that much.

Just continue, unless you want to perform a complete reinstall.

hobbenbobber

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I restarted the installation with a PS/2 mice combo driver plugged in so I could tell it to continue when it was installing the keyboard+mouse combo, and the install completed without a hitch. I guess the combination of system restores, restoring the regisry, and repair installs must've hit a sweet spot that let the install complete and let my computer finally boot. Now I am happy! Thanks for all the help you guys, I can finally say this problem is solved.

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
So which one did the trick, a clean install or the repair option I recommended above, I recommended both but I'm just curious which one worked.