[SOLVED] Installed new rtx 2080. Now PC won't boot to bios or anything. Old gpu won't work either now.

Jun 3, 2020
I got a new gpu. An rtx 2080 to replace my gtx 1080. I plugged it in making sure it was unplugged and powered off entirely. Everything fit perfectly for the 2080 and I made sure it's all plugged in and seated right. I turn the PC on and the fans come on and all the lights on the motherboard and CPU come on and stay on. The keyboard lights up for a few seconds then turns back off. No display on the monitors. I swap back in my 1080 thinking either a driver issue or a bad 2080. Same issue now with that one. It's lights come on and all the fans in the whole case come on but no display. The motherboard has a built in HDMI but I haven't tried it before today. Nothing from there either. It's an AMD ryzen 5 3600. Just last night before the new gpu got here it was working perfectly. Any ideas? I didn't fry the CPU I think anyways. I did drop a screw on it however and I picked it up before turning it back on. Didn't feel any electric shocks either. Thank you!

Solution
Thank you. It's a GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming 3 motherboard. The VGA debug light stays lit red when powered on. I tried both gpus in both pcie slots and the VGA light stays lit.
Well, your GPU is apparently not being detected. Both of them. I would try a 3rd one in both slots if you have access to it. Also, check that the PSU PCIe connections and make sure the monitor is plugged in properly to the card that you expect to be detected.
I would blame the PCIe slot but you said you did try both of them...
You mentioned the fans are spinning so the PSU is not in protection mode too.
Try to test any of the GPUs in another system if you can.
  • Your onboard video outlet requires the CPU to have graphics which 3600 does not (only G indexed Ryzens have it, 2400G, 3400G etc).
  • ESD does not have to be felt to be deadly for electronics.
  • The dropped screwdriver could have knocked components off the board, have a good look at it.
  • Check aux power to the GPU.
  • Check RAM for proper seating.
  • Check the debug lights on the motherboard if you have em. If you do not have any debug lights, try hooking up a speaker to the motherboard header and use the beeps to identify the POST fault codes.
  • If you would list exact make/model of all your components to start with it would be helpful for whoever tries to help you.

Jun 3, 2020
  • Your onboard video outlet requires the CPU to have graphics which 3600 does not (only G indexed Ryzens have it, 2400G, 3400G etc).
  • ESD does not have to be felt to be deadly for electronics.
  • The dropped screwdriver could have knocked components off the board, have a good look at it.
  • Check aux power to the GPU.
  • Check RAM for proper seating.
  • Check the debug lights on the motherboard if you have em. If you do not have any debug lights, try hooking up a speaker to the motherboard header and use the beeps to identify the POST fault codes.
  • If you would list exact make/model of all your components to start with it would be helpful for whoever tries to help you.
Thank you. It's a GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming 3 motherboard. The VGA debug light stays lit red when powered on. I tried both gpus in both pcie slots and the VGA light stays lit.

Well, your GPU is apparently not being detected. Both of them. I would try a 3rd one in both slots if you have access to it. Also, check that the PSU PCIe connections and make sure the monitor is plugged in properly to the card that you expect to be detected.
I would blame the PCIe slot but you said you did try both of them...
You mentioned the fans are spinning so the PSU is not in protection mode too.
Try to test any of the GPUs in another system if you can.

Solution