Question Installed the TP-Link Powerline Adapter AV2000 (TL-PA9020P KIT). File transfer rate is not as fast as I had hoped.

jwhitworth

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I knew it would fall far short of my wired gigabit connections. The reason for the powerline kit is to enable the move of the main PC to a bedroom/office (gotta get it out of the living room). Most of what I read indicate the powerline kit would be faster than wireless.

Copying flac files (10 to 100 MB in size) between two PC's I achieve about 18 MB/s (as indicated by the Windows 10 file transfer status window) when the powerline kit is used. Using the gigabit wired connections I get 100 MB/s (about what would be expected).

The wiring in the building (1968) is original and I will probably never change that. I may upgrade the breaker box but that is not going to happen anytime soon. Running cat5e may happen in the future.

The question is can wireless beat the 18 MB/s file copy speed? I am looking at trying the TP-LinkAC1750 (RE450). The distance between the router and the TP-LinkAC1750 (RE450) is about 25 feet. Would I be wasting my time with wireless?

I knew it would fall far short of my wired gigabit connections. The reason for the powerline kit is to enable the move of the main PC to a bedroom/office (gotta get it out of the living room). Most of what I read indicate the powerline kit would be faster than wireless.

Copying flac files (10 to 100 MB in size) between two PC's I achieve about 18 MB/s (as indicated by the Windows 10 file transfer status window) when the powerline kit is used. Using the gigabit wired connections I get 100 MB/s (about what would be expected).

The wiring in the building (1968) is original and I will probably never change that. I may upgrade the breaker box but that is not going to happen anytime soon. Running cat5e may happen in the future.

The question is can wireless beat the 18 MB/s file copy speed? I am looking at trying the TP-LinkAC1750 (RE450). The distance between the router and the TP-LinkAC1750 (RE450) is about 25 feet. Would I be wasting my time with wireless?

The TP Link should be faster. I use powerline myself and max out around 80mbps. But it's a last choice because signals don't propagate well in the basement.

There are many variables though, so I can't guarantee you'll do better. But you should.

Be aware that even if wifi is faster it may not be "better". Many people who post to this forum primary use is online gaming. Wifi is great for every application except online gaming. Powerline even though it can be slower for some people tend to be more consistent so work better for gaming.

Ya, if you are going through the trouble of re-wiring your AC lines, may as well lay Ethernet.

Tried different outlets right? One thing I know is household 3-phase AC, on the same phase should work better.

WIFI/Powerline, only trial&error will know for sure, and then it only takes a new neighbor and/or u turning on the aircond, and BAM! back to square 1. Ethernet is known quantity, is dedicated, from the get-go, reason why is the preferred, no matter what the mainstream (tabloid) media say wireless taking over the world.

jwhitworth

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Ya, if you are going through the trouble of re-wiring your AC lines, may as well lay Ethernet.

Tried different outlets right? One thing I know is household 3-phase AC, on the same phase should work better.

WIFI/Powerline, only trial&error will know for sure, and then it only takes a new neighbor and/or u turning on the aircond, and BAM! back to square 1. Ethernet is known quantity, is dedicated, from the get-go, reason why is the preferred, no matter what the mainstream (tabloid) media say wireless taking over the world.

I had not thought of interference from the heating/ac. It is gonna get cold tonight. I will run a test when the heat kicks on. At some point I will get ethernet run to the bedroom/office. That process is taking longer than I thought so the powerline/wifi is it for now. Got to get the main PC out of the living room. I am gonna order the wifi adapter I referenced earlier and give it a try.

jwhitworth

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Installed the TP-LinkAC1750 (RE450). Now file transfer between two PC (both with SSD) reaches speeds of 50 MB/s. Except for the first few seconds of the copy the transfer speed is rarely below 40 MB/s. So the wireless option is clearly superior for my case. I could probably improve things with a little adjustment of the position of the TP-LinkAC1750 (RE450) and/or router.

Try both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. 5GHz is faster, but drops off quicker in range. Therefore at a distance it might be slower.

The other thing you can try (If you have your old router) is bridge mode. Sometimes the transmitters and receivers on the routers are superior to wireless cards (Especially USB ones). So using the new router as a wireless bridge might be even faster. There is no retransmit lag as with most repeaters because there is no repeating on the airwaves. It just comes in as WiFi and goes out as Ethernet to your computer.