Installing 32 bit programs on windows 7 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,
I am running windows 7 64 bit. The program i want to install is using 32 bit. It will not install. It tells me the program is not compatible with the version of windows i am running. Is there any way around this to install the program?

There may be, but it can be tricky.

If you can find the setup program (often called "setup.exe" or something similar), right-click on it and choose the "Compatibility" tab of the properties page. Check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose "Windows XP Service Pack 3". Then try running the program again.

Here's where it gets tricky: sometimes the "setup.exe" program isn't actually the one that does the install. Sometimes all that "setup.exe" does is to unpack a container file that contains the REAL install program, and then run that program. If that's the case, you'll have to try to figure out where the REAL install program is and then set ITs compatibility mode and run it.

Neither of these are guaranteed - but if it's just a case of the install program checking the Windows version number and refusing to install on a newer version than it was originally designed for, this should do the trick.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
32 bit applications will 99.9% of the time run absoloutly fine on Windows x64. However some of these 32 bit applications use installers that are 16 bit. Running 16 bit applications is not supported on any of the Windows x64 operating systems.

You can however install a 32bit OS such as Windows XP in a Virtual Machine and run the applications in the VM.

If it runs on Vista, it should run on 7. They are not that much different.

^It wouldn't. Even Intuit support said so. But here is the strange thing, it would run on my wife's Dell P4 with Windows 7.

Even tried dual boot with Win7 32-bit, no go. Must not like 64-bit/modern processors.

Anyway, I got my money back.

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I used your fix... There was another folder called "install." When I did that to the install.exe program in it, it worked beautifully. -- THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.