Jan 15, 2021
Hello!

I have an IdeaCentre 3-07IMB05 Desktop - Type 90NB and I am thinking about maybe upgrading to a dedicated GPU. The question is, would this work? I have a 260 W PSU.

Here is a link to the PSU calculation, it appears that the PSU is sufficient.

https://outervision.com/b/McQP0T

Then comes the form factor. I am thinking about the Small form factor MSI version (any ideas?), which measures 6.7 * 1.7 * 2.7 inches (17.018 * 4.318 * 6.858 cm. l, w, h).

The chassis of the computer measures 31.25 * 10 * 27.45 (cm, l, w, h).

Even if this does work, I have no intention of getting it at these inflated prices, I just want to know if it is compatible.

Also, here is the back of my PC:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aFbwEortzrTDPPvhGXrWqN6QWVLE4PWG/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for any help! I really appreciate it.

Would this work?

Edit: thank you for all the responses. I think I have managed to figure out that the PSU is enough. Is the case wide enough for the gpu, I am not sure the bracket will fit. What do you think?

Last edited:
Solution
I am not entirely sure what you mean (I am new to this).

Here is an image of what it says on the power supply:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sQPCpJZ0UdqGCL_X8HlwoSU3cvkxepSq/view?usp=sharing

it says +12 V --- 21.7 A.

Knowing physics, should not that give 260.4 W?

Thank you for the help and please reply.

Correct that's 260W. But that had to be verified before any recommendation could be made.

Imagine if you had equipment that required 550W and someone asked if they could use a 650W PSU and it turned out to be this:

s-l1600.jpg

Considering that pretty much everything in a modern PC that consumes a lot of power is +12V, this person would be in very big trouble...
It says that the wattage is going to be 243 W, in other words less than the 260 W PSU.

Do you think the card itself would fit?
I have no idea regarding the fit of the card.

You have the PC....so I would take some measurements.

....and I typed "If the PSU is indeed enough" for a reason.

I suspect there's a chance it may not be enough even though the numbers line up.

PSUs don't always put out what they're rated for....and loads don't always load what they're rated for.

Then things can heat up and cause even more power loss.

So I question whether the PSU would be enough.

Jan 15, 2021
I have no idea regarding the fit of the card.

You have the PC....so I would take some measurements.

....and I typed "If the PSU is indeed enough" for a reason.

I suspect there's a chance it may not be enough even though the numbers line up.

PSUs don't always put out what they're rated for....and loads don't always load what they're rated for.

Then things can heat up and cause even more power loss.

So I question whether the PSU would be enough.
I guess you are right. I am going to have to measure whether or not it would fit (with a ruler?). As with the power Supply, it should work, but I am not sure.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It says that the wattage is going to be 243 W, in other words less than the 260 W PSU.

Do you think the card itself would fit?

The problem is, this is not how it works. You cannot just use the total wattage of the PSU. It's only actually a 260W PSU in real-life terms if you can get 260W of power from the +12V rail. If you only have, say, a 10 amp +12V rail, then when dealing with modern equipment (since the era of the Pentium III), you more or less have a 120W PSU. So specifics for the PSU are necessary (and will almost always say right on the PSU what each rail can handle).

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Jan 15, 2021
The problem is, this is not how it works. You cannot just use the total wattage of the PSU. It's only actually a 260W PSU in real-life terms if you can get 260W of power from the +12V rail. If you only have, say, a 10 amp +12V rail, then when dealing with modern equipment (since the era of the Pentium III), you more or less have a 120W PSU. So specifics for the PSU are necessary (and will almost always say right on the PSU what each rail can handle).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sQPCpJZ0UdqGCL_X8HlwoSU3cvkxepSq/view?usp=sharing

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Correct that's 260W. But that had to be verified before any recommendation could be made.

Imagine if you had equipment that required 550W and someone asked if they could use a 650W PSU and it turned out to be this:

s-l1600.jpg

Considering that pretty much everything in a modern PC that consumes a lot of power is +12V, this person would be in very big trouble with only 30 amps on the +12V rail!

Solution
Jan 15, 2021

s-l1600.jpg

Considering that pretty much everything in a modern PC that consumes a lot of power is +12V, this person would be in very big trouble with only 30 amps on the +12V rail!
Thank you for the reply! I think the PSU is enough. Do you think the case is wide enough for the gpu?