Question installing a ssd in an old desktop pc

hukkus

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2016
Hello, an old desktop pc is now extremely slow with Windows 10. It is an i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, with 4BG ram and a hdd.

I am thinking about buying a ssd, installing Windows 11 and all the programs there, and keeping the hdd as data disk. I had done this kind of basic things before with a couple of pcs I assembled myself and everything came easy.

But this pc was bought assembled and the power supply is closed with a label asking to keep it closed. Should I open it, or how can I bring power to the disk? The cable which supplies with power to the hdd continues and has a lose end (P5 in the picture). Would that supply with power to my new ssd?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/R4GKt75

Also, do you think I would need more RAM memory? Microsoft is asking for a minimum of 4GB Ram for Windows 11, but I wonder if that's really enough for smooth performance

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, an old desktop pc is now extremely slow with Windows 10. It is an i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, with 4BG ram and a hdd.

I am thinking about buying a ssd, installing Windows 11 and all the programs there, and keeping the hdd as data disk. I had done this kind of basic things before with a couple of pcs I assembled myself and everything came easy.

But this pc was bought assembled and the power supply is closed with a label asking to keep it closed. Should I open it, or how can I bring power to the disk? The cable which supplies with power to the hdd continues and has a lose end (P5 in the picture). Would that supply with power to my new ssd?

Also, do you think I would need more RAM memory? Microsoft is asking for a minimum of 4GB Ram for Windows 11, but I wonder if that's really enough for smooth performance
Your CPU is 6 generations too old for a supported Windows 11 configuration. Microsoft is actively working to ensure unsupported hardware won't run Win 11. I would not waste my time.

USAFRet

Titan

That almost 14 year old processor is NOT, repeat NOT Win 11 capable.

Even if you were to forcefit Win 11 onto it (you can't), the 4GB RAM is a major limiting factor. As it currently is with Win 10.

Repurpose it as a Linux based house server, or let it fade away into the great Recycle Bin in the Sky.

But yes, you could add a SATA III SSD in there.