[SOLVED] Installing drive bay fans for Silverstone CS381

Kev1n8088

Prominent
May 20, 2020
I'm planning on buying a Silverstone CS381 for a NAS system with a gaming VM. From what I've heard, it seems the drives of the CS381 have nearly no airflow and can get quite hot. I'm looking at installing an 80mm Noctua fan for each of the two drive bays by double-sided taping 3D printed fan brackets to the back of the bays. Would this work? Are there any alternatives for cooling the drives? Is this even necessary? Any information would be great!

Solution
i doubt the included fans are running at a high enough RPM to just suck all of the intended Noctua's air directly out the back ports.
they probably have ~1/3 of the airflow & air pressure of those A4s.

you could even disconnect the included right fan so that even more of the cool air intake is spread around before leaving.

having those fans setup "behind" the drives with no vents for air intake can possibly just recycle already warmed air that is sitting in the enclosed area of the housing.
in this type of situation you may need to cut/drill vents in behind where the fans are located.
it appears to have two exhaust fans already.
11-163-416-V03.jpg

so adding one or two intakes here should lower temperatures significantly.
11-163-416-V06.jpg

Kev1n8088

Prominent
May 20, 2020
it appears to have two exhaust fans already.
11-163-416-V03.jpg

so adding one or two intakes here should lower temperatures significantly.
11-163-416-V06.jpg
Yes, I understand that. However, there seems to be no airflow over the drive bays, as the two side intake fans draw air in, and the air is expelled at the back, with nothing going over the drives in the front. My question was whether it would be able to install two fans behind the drive bays to suck air through the bays in order to get some airflow and cooling over them.

i doubt the included fans are running at a high enough RPM to just suck all of the intended Noctua's air directly out the back ports.
they probably have ~1/3 of the airflow & air pressure of those A4s.

you could even disconnect the included right fan so that even more of the cool air intake is spread around before leaving.

having those fans setup "behind" the drives with no vents for air intake can possibly just recycle already warmed air that is sitting in the enclosed area of the housing.
in this type of situation you may need to cut/drill vents in behind where the fans are located.

Solution