installing new motherboard

If I install a new motherboard and cpu, will windows xp recognise it or will
I have to re-install windows xp.

Kind Regards

Syd

If you install a new motherboard and CPU, Windows will not automatically
recognize it and be able to boot. You are going to need to do a repair
installation. Boot off your Windows XP CD, choose Install, setup will
find the existing installation, press R to repair it, then you should be
fine. It most likely will make you reactivate which may be a problem if
your copy of XP is an OEM copy (like from Dell, HP, etc).

Good luck :)

-----
Nathan McNulty
Swap gmail with name for email :)

syd4444 wrote:
> If I install a new motherboard and cpu, will windows xp recognise it or will
> I have to re-install windows xp.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Syd

Thanks Nathan, I'll take the plunge!!!

syd4444 wrote:
> If I install a new motherboard and cpu, will windows xp recognise it or will
> I have to re-install windows xp.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Syd

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
more stable than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the Internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

papa

Although it is possible to avoid reinstalling Windows, such a major
undertaking is fraught with pot holes, so you would be much better off doing
a clean install. However, back up anything important first.

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
> Although it is possible to avoid reinstalling Windows, such a major
> undertaking is fraught with pot holes, so you would be much better off
> doing a clean install. However, back up anything important first.

This is simply not so. There's rarely a need to perform a clean install of
XP after a motherboard/CPU change. I've performed dozens of
motherboard/CPU/hard drive changes without the need reinstall a fresh copy
of XP. What's needed is a Repair install following your motherboard/CPU
change. The Repair install will retain your programs and data so that you
will not have to reinstall them. Obviously, it's prudent for you to backup
any critical files/data before undertaking the Repair install. You can find
a wealth of information on performing a Repair install through a Google
search of "Windows XP repair install".
Art

papa

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. In my experience, and I have
also built and repaired dozens of PCs, I have found that it is much easier
and much less trouble-prone to do a clean install. This will eliminate any
OS glitches that have developed over time, give the user a clean system,
while allowing the clean install to correctly recognize all devices without
retaining the clutter of device "pieces" (drivers, etc.) for devices that
were removed incorrectly at some time in the past.