[SOLVED] installing new Z73 Kraken never used AIO before question

greenzeye

Commendable
Jun 4, 2017
Hi!

So im replacing my AMD prism cooler with the new Z73 and I have never used a AIO cooler before, Stupid question I realise I should have my fans blowing air through the radiator fins and out of my pc but will these fans also cool the PC? what I mean is I have 3 fans expelling air at the moment and 3 fans blowing air into the system will the 3 fans expelling air via the AIO radiator still kind of do the same job or will I need extra fans to keep the rest of the system cool?

Thanks

Solution
Hi,

I have the Lian Li Dynamic case so it doesn't have fan ports on the back I have 3 as intake ont he top of the case and 3 exhausting on the front

Do the reverse, intake in the front, and exhaust on the top. I would place the rad in front. It is normally a personal/aesthetic choice for placement, but since you don't have a rear exhaust it would be best in front. (Technically the intake is on the side panel on your case, but its close enough to the front so we will call it the front. ) Though I believe your case also supports 3 bottom intakes so that is another option. ;)

If you think about how hot air rises you are more likely to circulate hot air back into your case with your current config. Top fans draw air in from out...
The 3x fans on your radiator will exhaust hot hair from your system, but it will also cause slightly higher temps on your CPU. For best CPU cooling use the radiator fans as intake on the front of your case. For best GPU cooling use it as exhaust like you have.

One thing I'm wondering is if you have a rear fan and is it exhausting air like it should?

greenzeye

Commendable
Jun 4, 2017
The 3x fans on your radiator will exhaust hot hair from your system, but it will also cause slightly higher temps on your CPU. For best CPU cooling use the radiator fans as intake on the front of your case. For best GPU cooling use it as exhaust like you have.

One thing I'm wondering is if you have a rear fan and is it exhausting air like it should?

Hi,

I have the Lian Li Dynamic case so it doesn't have fan ports on the back I have 3 as intake ont he top of the case and 3 exhausting on the front

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Hi,

Do the reverse, intake in the front, and exhaust on the top. I would place the rad in front. It is normally a personal/aesthetic choice for placement, but since you don't have a rear exhaust it would be best in front. (Technically the intake is on the side panel on your case, but its close enough to the front so we will call it the front. ) Though I believe your case also supports 3 bottom intakes so that is another option. ;)

If you think about how hot air rises you are more likely to circulate hot air back into your case with your current config. Top fans draw air in from out of the case, hot air gets pushed out the front to rise and be drawn back in by the top fans. Also since hot air rises it is more difficult to be pushed out of the front from top down.

Front intake will draw in more cool air from below the top of the case, and top exhaust will push hot air out and that hot air should rise out and away from your case. The hot air in your case naturally rises and will rise easier out of your case.

Last edited:
Solution