[SOLVED] Installing optical drive prevents PC from booting ?

Aug 19, 2021
I had recently built a pc, which works fine but, had decided to buy an optical drive to be able to play and write on cds and dvds (more specifically an Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST). However, after installing the optical drive and booting up the PC it just won't turn on. However it can turn on perfectly without the optical drive installed. I checked both the sata power port and sata data port and both looked fine.

My specs are:

Mother Board: ASrock B550M Pro4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8-Core Processor
PSU: Corsair CX650M
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
SSD: Seagate BarraCuda 120 SSD 1tb
Physical RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gb (2 8gb sticks)
Wi-Fi Card: TP-Link ARCHER TX50E AX3000

Last edited:
Solution
I had recently built a pc, which works fine but, had decided to buy an optical drive to be able to play and write on cds and dvds (more specifically an Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST). However, after installing the optical drive and booting up the PC it just won't turn on. However it can turn on perfectly without the optical drive installed. I checked both the sata power port and sata data port and both looked fine.

My specs are:

My guess...

My specs are:

My guess would be the optical drive is faulty. If you have access to another system to try it on that would be good. You could also try a different Sata cable and different power cable from the PSU I guess.

Solution