[SOLVED] Installing OSX With Recovery Disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbleCat HC

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
My hard drive failed in my Macbook Pro(Mid-2010 2.66GHz Dual Core 4GB Ram).
I took a hard drive(WD Scorpio Blue 320gb) from a Windows laptop I had laying around, popped it in the MBP and opened up disk utilities within the OS X install disk that came with my MBP.

I erased the HDD and formatted it Extended(Journalled). From there I restarted and booted to the disc. I installed OS X 10.6.4, then once it restarted to finish up the spinning gear froze. I restarted and tried to access the safe boot mode, it went past the grey bar but froze on the gear again.

I have reset SMC, PRAM, and NVRAM. I have gone through the AHT on the applications disc, did the short test the the extended test with no results of problems. Along with the freezing screens, I cannot boot from the disc either(gear freezes).

I called my friend(works at the IT department of my workplace) and he says he doesn't think I should be installing with the recovery disk that came with my MBP and I need the retail 10.6 disc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much in advance!

Solution
I called my friend(works at the IT department of my workplace) and he says he doesn't think I should be installing with the recovery disk that came with my MBP and I need the retail 10.6 disc.

Any thoughts?
My first thought is that your IT department employs pretty poor support staff. Why do you suppose that Apple provided a disk in the first place? The main difference between your disk and a retail one is that your disk will only work on your model of Mac whereas a retail disk would work on any model that can run that particular level of OS X. But it is provided so you can reinstall OS X if necessary.

You seem to have done all the obvious stuff. (I presume that when you formatted the disk you used the correct partition table -...

Any thoughts?
My first thought is that your IT department employs pretty poor support staff. Why do you suppose that Apple provided a disk in the first place? The main difference between your disk and a retail one is that your disk will only work on your model of Mac whereas a retail disk would work on any model that can run that particular level of OS X. But it is provided so you can reinstall OS X if necessary.

You seem to have done all the obvious stuff. (I presume that when you formatted the disk you used the correct partition table - GUID partition table.) I think it's time to take the computer to an Apple Store or local repair shop (make sure that it is one that knows about Macs) and ask them to check it our for you; something is broken. But before you do that, if you have a spare external hard disk you might like to try an install on that. It may not work, but it will be valuable information for the repair shop. If you can boot off a USB drive but not off the internal one then that will tell you that the fault lies with the SATA controller, cable, or disk itself.

Solution

BobbleCat HC

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

Yes, I used the GUID table. I will attempt to install to an external drive when I am back home, then find a local tech. Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.