Installing RGB fans without RGB header, and a few questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Good morning everyone.

So, a bit of a background.I have a PC with a few aging 'generic, run-of-the-mill, $5 unknown-brand' case fans. I have 4 of them and they're getting uncomfortably loud these days (I used to have 5, but one of them stopped spinning for whatever reason. Well, can't expect much from a $5 product anyway, in fact, it's impressive they lasted that long). I don't mind a bit of noise coming out from my computer, but those fans sound eerily similar to a dying hard drive, so I think replacement is in order...

So, I'm planning to get myself a few fans with RGB support, just to add a bit of flair to my PC. I've read a bit about this RGB things, but the more I read, the more I get confused (please bear with me, I'm completely new to all this RGB business, the only 'RGB' I ever installed inside my PC was an aquarium lamp, a failed one too). From what I've read, I'm going to need an RGB header on my motherboard. Well, I don't have any RGB header on my motherboard.. Ok, they said I'm going to need something called an RGB controller. This is where I'm stuck. There are so many of them to choose from, and I couldn't find any 'comprehensive' guide about which one I should choose. And to add even more insult to my bleeding injury, there's this talk of 'competing RGB standards', with different brands controlling different standards, and apparently they're not compatible with each other, and none of them are guaranteed to work on my setup. Man, I just want 3 of those fans to light my setup up, nothing more... To sum it up, my questions :

■ Is it possible to have RGB fans working on my system that has no RGB header?
From what I've read, it's possible, but I'm not so sure... If it is indeed possible :

■ What are the things I need to buy? Can someone point me to the right direction? From what I know I'm going to need this RGB Controller and a few RGB fans, but which 'controller' and which 'fans'? How much should I spend? And is there anything else I need?

■ How do I install the RGB controller? Where do I plug it in (USB 2.0? Fan header?.....?)? Which cable do I need to power the controller (SATA? Molex? Some kind of proprietary cable?)? And the procedure to install the RGB fans, is it going to be the same like installing regular fans (barring a few extra cables)?

Sorry if my questions are a bit "in your face", I'm seriously stuck here. All I wanted to do is install a few fans, but I instead I got a splitting headache...

Thanks in advance! Seriously...

Solution
1) it is possible

2)you are going to have to buy a rgb controller and fans YES. there are a few big brands of RGB controllers and fans thier is Thermanl Take, Corsair, NZXT
and i believe HUE (havnt looked much into the last one)

i am personally running corsair 6 RGB fans and 4 RGB strips (corsair has proprietary cables which means you canT use there fans with any other brand controller)

so in order for me to run my strips and my fans in my computer i had to buy a corsair commander PRO
which has a sata power cable that gets its power from the PSU

their are 2 cables running of the rgb fans one is the rgb controller wire and the other is the 4 pin connector that gets plugged into the motherboard

hopefully i answered all your...

OCD Tweaker

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
1) it is possible

2)you are going to have to buy a rgb controller and fans YES. there are a few big brands of RGB controllers and fans thier is Thermanl Take, Corsair, NZXT
and i believe HUE (havnt looked much into the last one)

i am personally running corsair 6 RGB fans and 4 RGB strips (corsair has proprietary cables which means you canT use there fans with any other brand controller)

so in order for me to run my strips and my fans in my computer i had to buy a corsair commander PRO
which has a sata power cable that gets its power from the PSU

their are 2 cables running of the rgb fans one is the rgb controller wire and the other is the 4 pin connector that gets plugged into the motherboard

hopefully i answered all your questions

EDIT the controller has 2 wires the sata power that i mention above and the usb header cable that obviously gets plugged into the usb header on the mobo

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS