[SOLVED] Installing Vista Service Pack 1 without a disc ?

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
I watched a video on YouTube showing how to convert ISO to exe file. I downloaded Windows Vista SP1 64 DVD ISO image and opened with Winrar. There are four files in the ISO folder which are: setup.exe, Windows6.0-KB936330-X64.exe,Windows6.0-KB936330-X86.exe and auto run.inf
Im Running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I need to install Vista SP1 without a disc because i dont have a CD drive in my computer at the moment. Im going to download the files onto a USB stick and install them after i reinstall Windows Vista.
Should i drag the folder over to the usb stick with all four files and will just clicking the setup.exe file execute the other files automatically? Or do i need to click all three exe files individually as they install?
Will it work this way or should i do it another way?

Last edited:
Solution
When i reinstalled I had a copy of SP1 and SP2 on a usb stick i downloaded both from Microsoft which worked perfect cause i had trouble getting online for a while. SP1 was a dvd iso image i opened with Winzip and took the 64bit file and the SP2 file is a exe file application downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog It was nice and quick and easy.
Thanks everybody for helping me!

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
I just discovered Microsoft Update Catalog. I suppose i can just download whatever i need from there after i establish an internet connection after i reinstall Vista.
Does anyone know if there is a special order to download all those Vista updates? I know SP1 first then SP2, im talking about the security updates, etc.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
While not recommended....at all. Technically, you can upgrade Vista to 7 for free. Then 7 to 10 for free.

Makes for an ugly install and I have seen such a path before to get to Win 10 (family member did this).

Once again, I am not advocating this approach.

A fresh, clean install of Win 10 is the preferred path forward and the one I recommend.

While not recommended....at all. Technically, you can upgrade Vista to 7 for free. Then 7 to 10 for free.

Makes for an ugly install and I have seen such a path before to get to Win 10 (family member did this).

Once again, I am not advocating this approach.

A fresh, clean install of Win 10 is the preferred path forward and the one I recommend.
Well after doing this you can register an e-mail to your windows registration and then you can do a clean install of windows 10 or 11 and use the e-mail to activate it.

(That is if you can still upgrade vista to 7 for free)

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
When i reinstalled I had a copy of SP1 and SP2 on a usb stick i downloaded both from Microsoft which worked perfect cause i had trouble getting online for a while. SP1 was a dvd iso image i opened with Winzip and took the 64bit file and the SP2 file is a exe file application downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog It was nice and quick and easy.
Thanks everybody for helping me!

Last edited:
Solution