Question Installing windows XP on SSD - HELP

Nov 30, 2018
Alright everyone I need some help. So I’ve built a new machine with the purpose of installing XP onto it and playing a ton of old games. Most of the hardware is used and all of the hardware has XP drivers available. The computer itself works great.

Apparently this windows boot disk I have does not come loaded with sata/AHCI drivers so it cannot read my SSD so I get blue screen of death partway through installation. I’ve tried switching sata mode to compatibility but it still gives me the same result. So I took the boot disk, copied over the files, slipstreamed the Sata/AHCI drivers into the file system, then created a ISO image.

tired loading the iso onto USB with Rufus but that would not work at all for XP. So my question is, is my next step burning the iso onto a blank CD then trying it that way? Really I’d love anybody’s input if they’ve ever tried to install XP on a modern machine and got it to work.

System specs :
Mobo : P8Z68-V Asus
CPU : 3570k
GPU : 750 ti

Nov 30, 2018
It should work that way for AHCI install, burning disc, if drivers were properly slip streamed, and IDE mode isnt working. Just be aware that defrag may need disabled, and XP didn't know about TRIM command, ect.

Well, after getting all that ready... it didn’t work. Upon more research apparently my Samsung SSD’s partitions have to be formatted to msdos for xp to be able to install? It comes formatted by default in a way that XP cannot work. I am going to use a program called GParted. Comments?

Well, after getting all that ready... it didn’t work. Upon more research apparently my Samsung SSD’s partitions have to be formatted to msdos for xp to be able to install? It comes formatted by default in a way that XP cannot work. I am going to use a program called GParted. Comments?
It's not about the formatting on the disk the problem is with MBR having changed to GPT the disk has to be in MBR for XP to recognize it.
And that's the point that is confusing, no matter what the disk is MBR or GPT it should only affect the ability of XP to recognize the disk it should not produce a blue screen of death.

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
What didn't work?
Is your ISO bootable?
Did the XP setup program start at all?

I recently installed two versions of XP using nLite to create bootable ISO with only Sata drivers added first, and then Sata + service pack added on a different install. ISO was then put on flash drive with Yumi.

Sata HDD had Windows 10 on it, so I first used Gparted to destroy all 3 partitions and then create a single new partition. I did not format the partition with Gparted and let the XP setup program do the formatting.

Nov 30, 2018
It's not about the formatting on the disk the problem is with MBR having changed to GPT the disk has to be in MBR for XP to recognize it.
And that's the point that is confusing, no matter what the disk is MBR or GPT it should only affect the ability of XP to recognize the disk it should not produce a blue screen of death.

well maybe I’m not using the right terminology, it’s a stop error (blue screen) saying computer has been shut down to prevent harm immediately after boot disk loads the drivers and says ‘starting windows’ boom stop error. Code 0x7b. Which means unable to detect or read hard drive from my understanding. I’m on the way to Best Buy to buy a Sata to USB adapter so I can format this SSD to MBR

Nov 30, 2018
What didn't work?
Is your ISO bootable?

I recently installed two versions of XP using nLite to create bootable ISO with only Sata drivers added first, and then Sata + service pack added on a different install. ISO was then put on flash drive with Yumi.

Sata HDD had Windows 10 on it, so I first used Gparted to destroy all 3 partitions and then create a single new partition. I did not format the partition with Gparted and let the XP setup program do the formatting.

it did start, loaded drivers then right after ‘starting windows’ I get stop error 0x7b.

Nov 30, 2018
What didn't work?
Is your ISO bootable?

also I probably should mention... the disk I am using is Microsoft Windows Xp professional but it says “for refurbishing PC’s on it” maybe this is my problem?

Nov 30, 2018
Update : Thanks everyone for your input. Needless to say I have learned a lot today. But I have ran out of time to work on the machine as I am headed out of town for a few weeks.

When I get back to it im going to do a fresh burn disk and slip the sata drivers + the chipset drivers like suggested above and give it another go. Also I saw a post somewhere suggesting possibly swapping the sata ports around? I have a total of 6

if that doesn’t work I may try a driver pack.
Thanks again