Question installing xbox 360 controller on windows 7

Feb 23, 2021
greetings, I am attempting to use a xbox 360 controller on a older windows 7 laptop i have laying around. I plug in the controller and nothing happens. i know the usb port is good and i know the controller works fine. I think I may need a driver to activate it but the official microsoft site doesnt offer it anymore (i know it used to). is there any way I can get this working?? thanks in advance.

greetings, I am attempting to use a xbox 360 controller on a older windows 7 laptop i have laying around. I plug in the controller and nothing happens. i know the usb port is good and i know the controller works fine. I think I may need a driver to activate it but the official microsoft site doesnt offer it anymore (i know it used to). is there any way I can get this working?? thanks in advance.
Is this a wireless controler that you are using a charging cable with? Or is it a physical usb powered controler if it's wireless your going to need a wireless adapter for your laptop. For some dumb reson the charger cable will no longer work. Only usb cable controlers will wirless require the wireless adapter

Feb 23, 2021
The controller works on my windows 10 PC and I “briefly” updated my windows 7 laptop to windows 10 and it worked. Overall the laptop was too underpowered to use windows 10 so I reverted back to windows 7 and it stopped working again.