Question Integrated GPU is being used over my primary GPU, and weird GPU driver problem ?

Jul 15, 2023
Does anyone know why this is happening? After a recent Windows 11 update, my integrated GPU from my CPU is being used before my GPU is. I uninstalled the new Windows update, and now NZXT Cam isn't showing my GPU temperature or clock speed, but it does show it for the integrated GPU.
The driver for my primary GPU (AMD Radeon) also isn't working now for some reason. It says "Windows Update may have automatically replaced your AMD Graphics driver. Hence, the version of AMD Software you have launched is not compatible with your currently installed AMD Graphics driver."
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm kind of worried and I don't know what to do. Thank you for anyone who responds! :)

Jul 15, 2023
full system spec?

about amd driver
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor
GPU: MSI RX 6600 XT MECH 2X 8G OC Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB Video Card
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
PSU: Corsair RM750x (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB V2 65.59 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Operating System: Windows 11

I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling my GPU Drivers using ddu and nothing changed. It's still using 100% of my integrated graphics and barely using any of my actual GPU.

Jul 15, 2023
connect the monitor to the gpu to use the gpu
It's already connected to the GPU, the problem I'm having is that it looks like my PC is using my integrated graphics before my GPU. It only recently started doing this after a Windows Update. I know gaming laptops usually do this, but I'm on a desktop and this isn't necessary. Is there a way to get my PC to only use my GPU, and if so, will it just simply use my GPU with no problems? Or is there a different issue that needs fixing before? I'm not sure if this is a common issue.

Jul 15, 2023
what exact said you are using integrated gpu?
NZXT Cam is showing that I'm using my integrated GPU. It's saying the clock speed is 1500 MHz but the load is 0%. It's also saying that my primary GPU is at ~10% load currently and the clock speed is ~60 MHz (very low for some reason) and the fans are on for my GPU for some reason even though the temperature is 32 degrees celsius.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
There are power issues associated with updates that periodically occur. If a reset does not fix it a clean install will certainly. Not to discourage contributions that track the problem and resolve the specific issue but the message in your case leads one to reinstall. The system will be more responsive than you've seen in months.

So far you haven't mentioned anything regarding actual performance just NZXT's questionable software and something with AMD not detecting things correctly. If the dedicated card is showing up correctly in device manager have you tried playing games and had problems there?

Also if you think Windows did override your graphics drivers you should check advanced system settings -> hardware tab -> device installation settings and make sure that is set to no.

Jul 15, 2023
So far you haven't mentioned anything regarding actual performance just NZXT's questionable software and something with AMD not detecting things correctly. If the dedicated card is showing up correctly in device manager have you tried playing games and had problems there?

Also if you think Windows did override your graphics drivers you should check advanced system settings -> hardware tab -> device installation settings and make sure that is set to no.
I set it to no after it messed with my drivers. Some issues I've had are that my GPU fans now run all of the time and my integrated graphics is (supposedly) being used all the time as well.

I set it to no after it messed with my drivers. Some issues I've had are that my GPU fans now run all of the time and my integrated graphics is (supposedly) being used all the time as well.
It sounds like you need to uninstall every piece of software that interacts with your video card. Something is changing the behavior and preventing the AMD software from running right. The NZXT software get rid of it, and anything else you might have like MSI Afterburner or motherboard monitoring software. Then run DDU and start over. Do not reinstall any of the software until after you've seen if anything has changed.

It also doesn't matter what some software "says" if that's not what you're experiencing.

Jul 15, 2023
It sounds like you need to uninstall every piece of software that interacts with your video card. Something is changing the behavior and preventing the AMD software from running right. The NZXT software get rid of it, and anything else you might have like MSI Afterburner or motherboard monitoring software. Then run DDU and start over. Do not reinstall any of the software until after you've seen if anything has changed.

It also doesn't matter what some software "says" if that's not what you're experiencing.
I'll try that soon, how would I find all of the software that interacts with my GPU?

Jul 15, 2023
I'd just get rid of everything software wise that has any hardware interactions. RGB software, anything that came with the motherboard (they all have random stuff so I never try to guess what all there may be), monitoring software and anything else along those lines.
Once it's all deleted and I run DDU and (hopefully) everything is working, how would I get all of the software back?

Once it's all deleted and I run DDU and (hopefully) everything is working, how would I get all of the software back?
Just install whatever you actually need? Most hardware comes with a lot of software that simply isn't needed. Example: I had some audio software installed on my system that actually prevented a game from loading properly once I figured it out and uninstalled I never even noticed it being gone.

Generally speaking the less random software on your machine the better off you're going to be. I used to install some of the motherboard software as well, but really none of it is particularly necessary. RGB software is somewhat the bane of modern PCs because you can't get around using it (if you want to use RGB) and most of it is junk.

Jul 15, 2023
Does anyone know why this is happening? After a recent Windows 11 update, my integrated GPU from my CPU is being used before my GPU is. I uninstalled the new Windows update, and now NZXT Cam isn't showing my GPU temperature or clock speed, but it does show it for the integrated GPU.
The driver for my primary GPU (AMD Radeon) also isn't working now for some reason. It says "Windows Update may have automatically replaced your AMD Graphics driver. Hence, the version of AMD Software you have launched is not compatible with your currently installed AMD Graphics driver."
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm kind of worried and I don't know what to do. Thank you for anyone who responds! :)
Update: After reinstalling my GPU driver (for the third time), my GPU fan no longer is on all of the time, however, when I run a game that causes my GPU fan to turn on, even after exiting the game, my GPU fan is still on continually and won't turn off until I restart my PC.

Jul 15, 2023
Just install whatever you actually need? Most hardware comes with a lot of software that simply isn't needed. Example: I had some audio software installed on my system that actually prevented a game from loading properly once I figured it out and uninstalled I never even noticed it being gone.

Generally speaking the less random software on your machine the better off you're going to be. I used to install some of the motherboard software as well, but really none of it is particularly necessary. RGB software is somewhat the bane of modern PCs because you can't get around using it (if you want to use RGB) and most of it is junk.
So I should go through my downloads folder and delete everything that interacts with my hardware and then run DDU again? Or is there a different place to delete everything?

So I should go through my downloads folder and delete everything that interacts with my hardware and then run DDU again? Or is there a different place to delete everything?
The only stuff you need to worry about is things you actually ran an installer for because those can interact with your system even if they're not running and stopping anything standalone which may start with windows boot.

Jul 15, 2023
The only stuff you need to worry about is things you actually ran an installer for because those can interact with your system even if they're not running and stopping anything standalone which may start with windows boot.
I just tried doing this and running DDU again and the same thing is still happening. I guess I'll ask if my friend can come take a look at it and see if he can find the problem. Thank you for your help.