Question Integrated sound card dead after GPU installed

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Hi guys.
I was using my new PC via displayport on motherboard (Z690-f strix) and sound card was working normally (Realtek audio console).
I did installed graphics card to motherboard, turned on the PC and noticed in lower right corner red X on sound.
Windows installed display drivers automatically, but still I don't see any device except nVidia High definiton audio.
I reinstalled audio drivers, no luck.
There is no even sound card in device manager and when lauching realtek audio console I get an error:
"Realtek Audio Console doesn't support for this machine.
But it was working normally prior to graphics card installation,
What happened,what to do?
So now even when I removed the graphics card, sound card is dead.
What coild possibly kill some electronic component on PCB around sound chip?
PC was off the current all the time when GPU installed, I even plugged off DP cable.

Lutfij

Titan
Windows installed display drivers automatically,
You're advised to install any and/or all drivers in an elevated command, manually, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(intel, AMD and Nvidia) as well as your sound card drivers) in Safe Mode, then manually install your audio and GPU drivers.

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Windows installed display drivers automatically,
You're advised to install any and/or all drivers in an elevated command, manually, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(intel, AMD and Nvidia) as well as your sound card drivers) in Safe Mode, then manually install your audio and GPU drivers.
There is no infra red on optical output, which means the sound card is dead.
It was there previously.
I don't see a purpose of installing drivers when the sound card is dead.

There is no infra red on optical output, which means the sound card is dead.
Sound card requires drivers to operate.
Optical output signal may not be enabled without proper drivers installed first.

Check BIOS, if integrated Audio is enabled.
Reinstall chipset drivers.
Install proper Audio drivers.
Download from motherboard support site.

Note - downloads section doesn't display all drivers by default.
You have to click on "Show all" and find appropriate drivers.
Latest version of Intel, chipset drivers (Don't get confused with ME, DTT, GNA, SIO drivers).
Latest version of Realtek Audio Driver (Don't get confused with USB Audio drivers).

Mar 10, 2020
I had similar with a 3070 when I updated Nvidia drivers. The system would default to the Nvidia audio driver.

My fix was to open the control panel
Click on the sound icon
This opened a small window with, if I recall correctly, playback, record and maybe a third tab.

In the playback tab I selected the sound device I wanted (in my case soundblaster z) and pressed the button to set it as default.
Same thing with the recording tab.. to set the mic input.

The soundcard drivers hadn’t been corrupted or damaged. Nvidia had hijacked the audio i/o.

After setting the audio defaults in windows control panel I often found that TeamSpeak still didn’t work, I had to set the input to “Windows default”.

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
I had similar with a 3070 when I updated Nvidia drivers. The system would default to the Nvidia audio driver.

My fix was to open the control panel
Click on the sound icon
This opened a small window with, if I recall correctly, playback, record and maybe a third tab.

In the playback tab I selected the sound device I wanted (in my case soundblaster z) and pressed the button to set it as default.
Same thing with the recording tab.. to set the mic input.

The soundcard drivers hadn’t been corrupted or damaged. Nvidia had hijacked the audio i/o.

After setting the audio defaults in windows control panel I often found that TeamSpeak still didn’t work, I had to set the input to “Windows default”.
That is what I tought too but seems I am not lucky.
In my case only monitor audio is displayed, Windows does not recognize the card, like it was previously, when it was normal with all necessary drivers installed.

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Sound card requires drivers to operate.
Optical output signal may not be enabled without proper drivers installed first.

Check BIOS, if integrated Audio is enabled.
Reinstall chipset drivers.
Install proper Audio drivers.
Download from motherboard support site.

Note - downloads section doesn't display all drivers by default.
You have to click on "Show all" and find appropriate drivers.
Latest version of Intel, chipset drivers (Don't get confused with ME, DTT, GNA, SIO drivers).
Latest version of Realtek Audio Driver (Don't get confused with USB Audio drivers).

Bro I am not dumb, sound drivers were installed normally, the card was working okay with drivers installed from Asus website.When I installed physically graphics card, sound card "somehow" got damaged.

Mar 10, 2020
That is what I tought too but seems I am not lucky.
In my case only monitor audio is displayed, Windows does not recognize the card, like it was previously, when it was normal with all necessary drivers installed.

That’s different from what I was expecting, Windows is picking the monitor, not the gpu, up as your playback device…. Can you disable that audio device in “device manager” reboot and see what happens?

frozensun

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
That’s different from what I was expecting, Windows is picking the monitor, not the gpu, up as your playback device…. Can you disable that audio device in “device manager” reboot and see what happens?
NOthing special, just that this device LG is disabled which gices conclusion that somehow I managed to tost sound card and I dunno how did I manage to do that!!