Intel’s Atom D510 And NM10 Express: Down The Pine Trail With D510MO

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nabsim

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
We use the D945GCLF2D for POS applications. These run POSReady 2009 and all the applications we need very well. The cost of these systems is less than half that of our Intel mATX/ATX systems and the build and maintenance times are much lower. I am using one of these boards as a media centre and another as a basic pc for my partner. The D945GCLF2D in real life works a lot better than the benchmark figures suggest.

T8000

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2004
I think its hard to argue with a pricetag of just 200 euro's for a complete mini PC with Windows XP, keyboard and mouse in a sleek package, such as Acer currently offers among others.

No, it wont blow anything recent out of the water performance wise, but any normal user will find it enjoyable for browsing the web and light office appications.

When stretching it al little, some older games or SD multimedia may also be enjoyable.

So I say, great for a light office PC or first PC in a developing nation or for novice users, but as soon as they get more demanding, they will have to move on.

Since thats a potential market of half the world population, Intel does nothing wrong as long as this new more integrated platform keeps or even lowers that price tag.

G

I agree with ProDigit80 and T8000. Atom is not for gaming at all. I'm using it as NAS for backup, photos, and movie files. D510MO($80), memory/2GB/800($50), case(MI-100,$50), HDD(Hitachi/1TB/7200,$80) = $260. Pretty cheap, isn't it? I don't even connect keyboard/mouse/monitor. I just installed Ubuntu (I used key/mou/mon for installation) and used SSH to control the server. It runs in my walk-in closet quietly overnight backing up my Windows 7 / Mac machine overnight.

So, low power consumption is a welcome feature for me :)

G

Since the graphics are in Atom itself, is it possible to disable the video/graphics portion via BIOS setup for even more power reduction for something like a headless server?

G

Does every one know that flash always slows down the users web experience unless you have a power hungry or a more expensive computer. Flash is not very well used on most websites, always advertisements and useless info. I have a pentium and the flash stuff slows my computer down but HQ DVD movies dont. The web is being domminated by processor hungary graphics and video. Good and fast web content is getting fewer and far between. The atom is a processor for the web, but its not its fault if new speed hungry web pages emerge more and more that slow it down.

The atom uses LESS ENERGY and allows you to do your simple everyday tasks at LOW COST. The atom netbooks and nettops are supposed to be cheap, but retailers and maybe manufacturers are not playing by these rules, thus more expensive atom computers.

G

I LOVE the Atom! I just built a fully functional system with 2 gig ram, using an old 120 gig HD from an old system. Total system cost was $180. I installed Ubuntu from a thumb drive, and I now have a fully functional PC with all the basic tools for a price that's less than I paid for Commodore 64 twenty five or so years ago! How could anyone ask for more. The system boots in under a minute with that old clunker drive, and shuts down in about 10 seconds. I misread the instructions on Ubuntu's site and first installed the 32 bit version, but later saw that I had misinterpreted the "AMD64" thing to mean only AMD processors are supported. So, last nite I put in the 64 bit version, and that installed easily and simply from the thumb drive as well. Open source software makes a cheap PC sensible, and the Atom makes a cheap PC easy to build.

G

I purchased my new Intel Atom 510MO last month and is very satisfied with the performance. Yes, of course, it is slower than the other processor like i3 and i7 but oh boy, the price is really in big difference.

I have now a question to you guys above who have bad comments on Atom, is it possible that the inexperienced programmers who are using i7 can complete their computer programs ahead to those experienced programmers who are using Intel Atom? Of course not! What I want to say here is that, if the job is more on analysis, it really doesn't requires for a very high end computers because in this case, the speed of the processor doesn't matters, it is the user's ability of work that really matters here.

Like cars in a very heavy traffic city, the Ferrari will be slower than walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.