Intel’s Second-Gen Core CPUs: The Sandy Bridge Review

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
It's have been nice to see the 980X ranked in here. I feel really sad that I spent a thousand dollars on a processor and now it's gonna be outdone by cheaper ones... or not... the article does not say >.

gerhardb

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Ok,

Since Tom's is not getting around to this...

I've read a few other sites that have actually completed a comprehensive review that includes the i7-980X.

The results are mixed, but it appears that any multithreaded applications / bench marks comparing the new i7's to the 6 core unit are all in the i7-980X's favor.

Otherwise, the results are generally VERY close, with the new i7's edging out the i7-980X every now and then.

In cases where you have a rig like I do:

- Gigabyte X58A-UD5
- 24GB low CAS DDR3 RAM
- ATI 5970 Graphics
- 3ware 9650 raid w 300GB raid zero velociraptors
- LSI / 3Ware raid w 600GB raid w 300GB raid zero velociraptors

...the IO performance on the HDs ends up being even less of an issue, as I'm not using the chipset to do it.

Anyway, I think the general reason for not including the six core processor is that it would end up being a shrug of the shoulders as to how serious the performance differences really are.

In my case I do gaming AND virtualization, so more cores is MUCH better.

G

DMI is 2GB/s, as stated in the diagram and not 1GB/s as in the wording: "the DMI interface at 1 GB/s in each direction could still cause congestion."

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Great review! It would be nice to see a follow up showing clock-for-clock performance with turbo boost shut off, memory bandwidths all the same, just to see if the cores are more efficient.[/citation]
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom] http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833-2.html
Already done--Turbo disabled, same clock rate, both quad-core chips. There's your proof that Sandy Bridge is, clock-for-clock, significantly faster =)All the best,Chris[/citation]

Wow, can't believe I missed that! Thanks, and great work!

rrplay

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
Thanks for the detailed review as well your observations in the conclusion.The i7-2600K looks a pretty guide choice and actually surprise at it's cost being a bit less than expected..still going to wait a bit and see.

gerhardb

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Warcloudff:

"Just had a quick question. Why don't you use a 6970 or something higher than a 5550 or 4550?"

Now that you mention it, it is ODD that they didn't use a top of the line ATI card, such as an HD6000 series or the HD5970, etc.

Between that and the lack of comparing a system using the i7-980x, there are some gaps in this comparison.

While the new processors are fast and more cost effective, I'd really like to see how they stack up to the older top of the line...

Still no comments from Tom's...

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
What really needs to happen is a sort of software Optimus-type switch that will allow you to swap from the Intel 3000 chip for QuickSync usage, and your discrete graphics card for everything else.

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Where is the review for the X4 975 BE and 840? The 975 is supposedly an answer to SB launch, coz its priced at 190$ or so. I know its just another speed bump and I was particularly disappointed with the 970. But, some reviews on the net have shown the 975 to be around 15% faster and OC to about 4.4ghz. :eek: So, I kninda wanted a review from you guys. Would be cool if you could just do a head on of cpus in similar price range? Thank you and all the best.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Article/cangelini[/nom]Ignoring 1680x1050 (nobody with high-end graphics and a respectable processor is gaming on a 17” display, right?)[/citation]

You're so focused on the cutting edge, you forget about the slightly less new stuff!
Three years ago when I bought 22" lcd's they were 1680x1050 (and cost the same's a 32" tv does now). I'm running two of those displays on my respectable i7-920 and my 3x4870. Not the cutting edge, but still spitting out frames as fast as it can draw in current.
So.... I'm still gaming @ 1680x1050 - hell I even know a guy with an i5-750 and a 5850 gaming on an old 4:3 19" lcd. And my parents are running 2x 4:3 17" on their i7-920 with a single 4890 ... not everybody has big 30" monitors just because they have decent processors.

Edit: Come to think of it, my lcds are 4 years old - bought q1-2007 .. damn time flies!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Ratings are currently broken. We've let France know and they're "fixing it," we hear[/citation]

You're letting frenchmen fix your website? No wonder it has so many faults then! These people ruined BloodBowl and the car industry - and you let em have a go with your cms ? suicidal bunch!

G

Remote ‘kill switch’ added to Intel’s newest processor
·

December 14, 2010

We are giving up control of our computers and putting that control in another’s hands.

Lauded as a security feature, Intel’s new Sandy Bridge processor can be remotely disabled by a hardware/software combination known at Anti-Theft 3.0. Systems can be disabled over 3G networks, even while the OS is not running. Even when the hard drive is replaced, the critical systems will still be terminated.

At first this sounds great: if an owner loses a laptop it can be remotely disabled to ensure no sensitive data is compromised. But essentially we are giving up control of our computers and putting that control in another’s hands.

With the Patriot Act in place and and legislation like the ‘kill switch’ bill, many of the rights we took for granted are threatened. It is well within reason to fear this type of technology as it could be used as a means of control and censorship. I'll Stick with AMD thanks.

The CIA recently created a ‘honeypot’ on a hijacked mirror site associated with Wikileaks and used it to identify people who download the sensitive data.

University students have been warned not do download Wikileak’s documents under threat of being blacklisted from government jobs.

Homegrown terrorism is the new buzz being cultivated by DHS and various other government agencies. In publications like MIAC report, authorities identify patriots as dangers and label them probable terrorists.

Even Geraldo Rivera has begun to see through the thin veil of false flag terrorism, identifying patsies planted by the very agencies meant to protect us.

We have lost control of our government and soon we will lose control over our own health. Constitutional rights are continually under attack and we are losing the war. With PR spins like Intel’s it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep things in perspective.

fandi

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
how come that my q9550@4ghz is slower than this stock one in every pc mark except for gaming?! ..seems rather awkward

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Decent CPU, better than what AMD markets but still far from IBM. IBM power7: 8 cores per cpu, 4 threads per core, 32Mb L3, all running at 4Ghz Stock clock. I wonder why apple switched from Power CPUs to IA32

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Fandi, who knows, your system is different than the test system, so you aren't comparing apples to apples. Also are you using the exact same version of PCMark?

Aldaia, in 2005 when Apple switched to Intel, they said it was because Intel's future roadmap looked more impressive than IBM's. They would have had no knowledge of the Power7. and Apple is mostly concerned with performance per watt, not raw performance.

but the biggest reason was cost. Intel charges Apple signifigantly less than IBM.

tpoke

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I5 2300 no turbo enabled vs a i5 760 same clocks would have been a easy "include me" given in your review or at least a 2400(k) vs 750/760 under or overclocked either path to equal grounds . Majority of consumers buying based on your recommendations would probably want to know....... Though only a fool would not cross reference other sites, but you guys gotta get paid somehow right ;-). Theres no information like disinformation toms once you collect your advertising hype fees, ill look forward to the months after reviews which include apples to apples fights lol. Remember you got your hits to make your career and money from people liking honest reviewers. Unlike the other sites selling out based on whos products new and selling it as god even if its slower then older tech. I appreciate the honesty of adding in some duos to the mix though to those with them still either upgrade path this year will prove viable options.

G

Sorry, i'm pretty lost. I work mainly with After Effects and video editing, i have a i5 750 and a 9400gt with CUDA, and i'm thinking to upgrade. Since i know that for video editing GPU it's not so important, is mainly RAM and CPU, the best option for me is to get a i7 2600k or i5 2500k and just throw away my GPU and forget abou CUDA right now?

Thank you guy, nice job, nice benchs

fandi

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
@hixbot
apples to apples or not, 2.83ghz shouldn't come close to 4ghz, not even to mention beat it in most of marks :)
..and I do have some pretty serious hw: Maximus II, Q9550(obviously), 2x 2GB RAM, 2x 5850

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]and Apple is mostly concerned with performance per watt, not raw performance.but the biggest reason was cost. Intel charges Apple signifigantly less than IBM.[/citation]

Price was probably the main reason (or price/performance). I doubt performance/watt was a concern, performance/watt is way more critical in HPC systems than in laptops/desktops, cooling 1 CPU is easy, cooling 100s of CPUS stacked in a (relatively) small cabinet is an interesting problem. Power 7 is actually way more efficient than the intels, the POWER7 delivers about 1.28 gigaflops per watt while intel xeons deliver about half of that.

Not to mention that IBM packs 4 POWER7 dies in a single pakage (yes, 32 cores/128 threads) and cooling that monster is not trivial.

Rumors say that next Xbox may have a derivative of power7.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]gerhardb[/nom]Warcloudff:"Just had a quick question. Why don't you use a 6970 or something higher than a 5550 or 4550?"Now that you mention it, it is ODD that they didn't use a top of the line ATI card, such as an HD6000 series or the HD5970, etc.Between that and the lack of comparing a system using the i7-980x, there are some gaps in this comparison.While the new processors are fast and more cost effective, I'd really like to see how they stack up to the older top of the line...Still no comments from Tom's...[/citation]

Sorry, what are you waiting for an answer on? For as much as I try to participate in the comments, it's hard to make it by regularly. If there's something you want an answer on, please ask on twitter or through email and I'm able to respond much more quickly.

Thanks,
Chris

I personally don't see the point with the new ones. Sure, ~15% faster on average but Intel left behind millions of owners with dead sockets and took away any decent overclock ability with the non-K models.

G

Wow you gotta be kidding.

For years intel sells its crappy video chips like they were worth the uber prices they were charged for.
And now that intel filally has something you can do more with then just fool around with paintbrush you're all like:

"Oh my gosh, sandy bridge is sooooo cool, quick sync is a must have, intel is soooo awsome."

Oh and these SBs released are the low/med budget level ones, that doesnt simply mean that the higher end SBs are going to have super duper awsome performance, it means the prices on the higher end SBs aren't goinig to be even *close* to accessible. Start saving money, or just forget about attending college (just kidding on the college part :)

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Intel is making a bad move by alienating their their customer base. Many consumers who have a PCIE system (2006+) wont' be motivated to upgrade any time soon. Also, Intel's track record of orphaning sockets / chipsets & motherboards like toilet paper is NOT GOOD! Also the new chip design is like taking a comfortable & affordable SUV traction control system & making it a digital ai traction control that costs twice as much and requires expensive upgrades. Consumer's won't fall for it.. This gives AMD some room to upgrade it's processors to make them less power hungry & better at the FEW applications that Intel targets such as video/audio encoding. Intel is crazy to think if consumers get gouged for every last penny on a new m/b & processor so they won't be able to afford a good graphics card... screw Intel.. everyone should BOYCOTT/pass over this product line.. not a recommended buy here.. more like avoid like the plague!! Doorstopping the 1156 pisses me off.. and it'll be back to AMD if nothing better comes along!! To spend $500+ on m/b & cpu's just to get maybe 20 watts of power savings & 1-5% perforamnce increases (I think it may have been as much as 20% depending on ONE test & comparables, but the average was no more than 5% over the i-5/i7 series)-- however.. not worth even considering. Even if Intel stopped making the 1156 stuff TODAY-- which they have not indicated they will.. it will take at least another 2-3 years beofre the retail chain removes just about all traces of it.. we still see socket 775 in stock some places. Also if intel doesn't do some planned phasing out of old sockets (in order-- most likely starting with 478, then 775.. they will have a market share revolt on their hands.

One other obssrvation.. the graphics integration tells the industry that ATI's innovation means NOTHING.. computers will be in service for years and you don't need the *BEST* innovation. While your at it.. buy our REALLY EXPENSIVE CHIPS & 'PARTNER'S motherboards too.. too bad if you can't afford a decent graphics card now that we have all your budget money. HA! Watch this one backfire!!

dopey69

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Nice !

"In addition, Sandy Bridge processors will implement security features that include the ability to remotely disable a PC or erase information from hard drives. This can be useful in the case of a lost or stolen PC. The commands can be received through 3G signals, ethernet, or internet connections. AES encryption will be available for both video conferencing and VoIP applications."

Status
Not open for further replies.